praise during work

Discuss working your Gundog or tell us about your experiences be it sublime or ridiculous!
ips
Dogs: Eze "cocker"

praise during work

Post by ips » Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:14 pm

Something occurred to me during the last shoot day.
I don't think I have ever heard any handler verbally praise there dog whilst beating at either shoot. Is it considered mamby pamby ??
I cannot help but do so because I always have and probably don't even know I am doing it. I have no intension of stopping because that's how I interact with her.
Is it just me or are these shoots of mine frequented by rough tough northern sorts.

Anyway it was just an observation ;)
Muddling along in the hope that one day it starts to make sense.

CockerCanuck
Dogs: Ruadh, Fergal, Hamish

Re: praise during work

Post by CockerCanuck » Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:28 pm

I can't answer your question ips don't know how things are done there. But I can say I notice the same thing here. When hunting with others I rarely hear anyone praise their dog. On the other hand I do it almost constantly. Nothing loud or effusive but I keep up an almost constant quiet conversation with the dog, just a lot of "good boy" when he checks back in, looks back to see where I am or turns smartly on the whistle. I don't really think about it it just comes naturally to me and I have wondered if I do it for my own benefit or the dogs. On the other hand my friends dogs are universally less well behaved than mine. The only time I hear them speak to the dog is when they bellow at them as they gallop out of range, ignore recalls and run off with birds. So I think I will keep up my quiet mutterings of praise.

Maybe all my shooting companions are rough northern types as well :)

ips

Post by ips » Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:34 pm

Exactly same as me my friend. A sort of conversation going on.
Glad its not just me. ;)

Miesque
Dogs: Dan (ESS), Archie (Lurcher), Zou (ESS)

Post by Miesque » Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:04 pm

Nope, not while they're hunting. Constant praise has exactly the same effect as constant nagging on the whistle/by voice. The dogs tunes it out and it becomes irrelevant. 'll tell the dog it's a good boy if it's done a particularly good retrieve/come to heel smartly when asked etc.

ips

Post by ips » Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:16 pm

Must just be us then cockercanuck. ;)

I suppose it depends on how you start and how you train, maybe.

CockerCanuck
Dogs: Ruadh, Fergal, Hamish

Post by CockerCanuck » Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:26 pm

ips wrote:Must just be us then cockercanuck. ;)

I suppose it depends on how you start and how you train, maybe.
Yep I guess we are both just nuts! :lol:

I have long suspected there was little benefit to it but I also believe little harm so I am unlikely to stop now. It is too ingrained in my relationship with the dogs. When they do something particularly well I certainly step up the volume and type of praise and I know they do receive and acknowledge this. I can accept the calm quiet conversation in the field probably has little impact on moment to moment behavior but even if only for me I think it sets the tone of the relationship and keeps things calm.

chrokeva

Post by chrokeva » Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:47 pm

I started out using praise and my voice quite a bit when my dog was young even when hunting birds but the older my dog gets the more intensity she shows out in the field what I have found out is that less is more when it comes to using my voice or whistle so I use my voice as little as possible now. I feel letting her hunt is all the praise she seems to need. I also feel that if I am using my voice as a correction or praising I am training and not hunting.

munstyman

Post by munstyman » Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:57 pm

There is more than one way to appreciate good dog work and express it to the dog ;)
Praise and appreciation is big in my training world, I've rarely treated and moved a good distance from traditional methods in getting the dog to work for me in a way that works for both of us. I found it a very easy method for dogs that want to communicate, but you must remember its not what you say but everything in how you say it, and more importantly to that how you show it :think:
In training, I pitch the praise relative to the encouragement I think the dog needs. Once a dog is showing self achievement I move the emphasis from praise to appreciation and acknowledgement. ( don't ask me to explain the difference :think: )
I understand its not for everyone, and as miesque said too much vocal praise will be lost on the dog, so less is definitely more, but I do find it un balanced when handlers are quick to scold when the dog goes wrong but give nothing to the dog when it does good, but are more than happy to recount it to their friends after the event :( .

Judy
Co-Admin

Post by Judy » Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:07 pm

So many times you see a handler say 'sit' or whatever then totally ignore the dog when it does it, conversely I see people wittering on continuously in a monotone which the dog has cut out and doesn't respond to. If you are happy let your face know it - the dog is a past master at reading you without needing continuous verbosity. AS MM big in training then ease it off to a quiet "good girl", stroke or pat when they pull off something great in the field.

My pet hate is the picker up who drones on continuously with "hie lost", "good dog", "lost", "good dog" "where is it?" and the rest of the meaningless gibberish - the dog is hunting, doing its level best whether you are waffling at it or not.

Having said which I was obviously coming out with a load of meaningless verbosity the other day when my oldest b'd off and didn't listen to the whistle.
If in the process of winning, you have lost the respect of your competitors, you have won nothing. Paul Elvström.

Miesque
Dogs: Dan (ESS), Archie (Lurcher), Zou (ESS)

Post by Miesque » Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:08 pm

Think of it this way - if someone handed you a single Jelly Baby at very close intervals repeatedly while you were trying to do a maths sum you'd soon tune them out and not find it rewarding. If they handed you a packet of Jelly babies when you'd completed the task....that would be far more rewarding