Purchasing an ess

Discuss working your Gundog or tell us about your experiences be it sublime or ridiculous!
newf

Purchasing an ess

Post by newf » Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:27 pm

I'm looking around for a working ess. Hoping that I could get some impressions about this bitch's ability. She is due with pups this month. The video is 15 minutes long but one could skip along and get the gist of her work. Much appreciated. Newf

https://youtu.be/HgW6fMaIepo

PS. Added another because of cover and a retrieve.

https://youtu.be/9-_sO0PcnSE

Honest impressions only. :-D

munstyman

Re: Purchasing an ess

Post by munstyman » Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:54 pm

Aww you can't ask for an opinion on the dog with that level of handling, the poor dog doesn't stand a chance on here :lol: :lol:
If I was to put my Nat. Ability hat on, I would term her as a steady hunting companion, uses her nose rather than her feet, so might not do well in a UK Trial :whistle: :lol: :lol:
She must really love her handler, if she was a hpr, she would have given up on him, ran an extra half a mile out to get some quiet and a chance of some game :think: So very biddable and tolerant :)
She didn't set my pulse racing, like I said `steady', so a lot depends on the dog used to give the pups the extra, if that's what your looking for, and of course the training so the pup can do its thing without the racket of handler background noise :think:

newf

Post by newf » Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:30 pm

Thanks Munstyman ! Yes, I was not concerned about the handling. I was interested in the natural hunting of the dog. A rating by you guys who know. Remember, I've only owned labs but lately, been enthralled by the spaniels' work.

Dawnrazor

Post by Dawnrazor » Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:30 pm

Not my cup of tea but, if I had half a dozen like it in the beating line I'd be delighted!!!
If your not looking for a 15 minute wonder flying machine a pup out of her to a working dog would be worth a go.

Naj

Post by Naj » Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:19 pm

I agree, highly irritating handler but the dog looked workman like and easy to shoot over. The first video gave a skewed impression, I suspect, because she could well have been hunting for several hours for very little game contact and both handler and dog looked tired. He has another video where he shoots a cock pheasant over her and she looked a lot fresher and with a bit more pace.

Naj

Cass
Dogs: Lily (Dachshund) & Jake (Cocker)

Post by Cass » Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:23 pm

Very large and slow is how she appears. Well bred springers are easy to find in Canada and South of the border. I'd look around a bit more personally
"If you train a young dog for momentum, precision will arrive. If you train for precision, demanding perfection, momentum will depart." - Rex Carr

newf

Post by newf » Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:31 am

Thanks all ! Appreciate the second opinions. :-D

trekmoor
Dogs: Too many and not enough !

Post by trekmoor » Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:02 pm

I only watched the first 5 minutes of the film plus the little film showing the retrieve.......... I have seen much worse dogs than her at shoots on this side of the pond ! She was a bit slow and lacking in "flash" by British trialing standards but she did hunt "for" the handler and she did seem to be using her nose as well as her feet to find game.

She seemed to be easy to handle and willing to work even with her handler constantly nagging at her..... I think she is a perfectly good shooting mans dog. I have a strong liking for dogs that can really " go" ....this bitch does not fall into that category but for "the average shooting man " that is not necessarily a bad thing !

Wullie
If at first you don't succeed .....find out if there is a booby prize !
-----------------------------------------------------
Don't do what doesn't work - do what does.

newf

Post by newf » Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:53 pm

Thanks Wullie ! Appreciate your assessment very much.

Naj

Post by Naj » Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:59 pm

To be fair to Bridget :lol: she looks a bit fresher and faster in this clip.

https://youtu.be/fIQbyBtGmyI