A new Adventure Begins

Discuss working your Gundog or tell us about your experiences be it sublime or ridiculous!
CockerCanuck
Dogs: Ruadh, Fergal, Hamish

A new Adventure Begins

Post by CockerCanuck » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:04 pm

I have lost track of how many gundogs I have owned in my 60+ years but everyone has been an adventure and I just started another. My wife and I drove 6 hours north east to pick up my new 9-week-old Chesapeake Bay Retriever pup on Saturday. I have had a lot of fun with my little Cocker and he will continue employment as my primary upland dog but where I live the opportunities for hunting waterfowl are far better than upland birds. As I will be retired in a month I intend to do a lot of shooting and my nice old Labrador will be nine this fall and sadly showing her age.

I started looking for a new Lab a few months ago. My criteria where a calm, confident dog with a good coat for late season. Some of our best hunting comes in November and early December along with snow and ice. Many times, I have used the boat to open the ice enough to put out decoys. A dog either needs a very good coat or be left at home. It seems that it is getting increasingly difficult to find a Lab with a really great coat.

A friend of mine has a very nice CBR I have always admired. He told me there was a repeat breeding on the way. I had not been considering a CBR but he got me thinking. I have had limited experience with the breed although I have known and hunted with a few. Everyone were tenacious retrievers but quite a few had “control” issues. However so do poorly trained Labs. This litter is very well bred with a grandsire who is dual champion, which you still get in CBR, along with other FCh and Hunt Test graduates. With retirement, just ahead and more time on my hands I decided to take the plunge and try a Chessie and sent off a deposit on a male pup.

I had second pick of the six male pups. I was interested in a smaller dog (I hunt mostly from a small boat) and the fellow ahead of me wanted the largest so all good there. The breeder had been updating me on their developing personalities and said he had one in mind for me. When we arrived, he let the available five males out in the yard to play. We interacted and observed them for about a half hour. I am partial to the Deadgrass colour that Chessies come in. Two were this lighter colour and three dark brown. However, I quickly ruled out both light pups. One was by far the most aggressive and a little dynamo in constant motion. I decided he was going to be too much for me. The other although large was shy and kind of timid and frequently had his tail between his legs. So I concentrated on the three brown pups. They all looked good but the smallest one caught my eye. Not a runt just slightly smaller than the others but he carried himself with a calm confident air and was right in the middle of all the play but checked in with the people every few minutes, which his brothers did not. I said I thought he was the one and the breeder showed me his notes that he had picked the same one for me as well. He said he has always shown the same attitude and is the most curious of the pups when investigating new things. He said he was also the most interested when he had provided dead birds for them to investigate.

We have had him home for three days now and he is a very easy puppy to get along with. Right from the first night he has been quiet and clean in his crate. He has what I would call good social skills. We have three adult dogs and he has fit in just fine with all of them. He loves to play but when they get too rough he is good at signaling stop by crying out loudly. The big dogs all comply and then not a minute later he is back trying to illicit them to play with him again. I leave his crate open and right after the first night he understands it is his spot and he often goes in on his own for quiet time. I have thrown a few puppy dummies for him and he obviously has the right instincts, he flies out after them and comes directly back in.

My family background is Scottish and we have always used a lot of those names both for people and dogs. I have decided to call him Hamish and he already recognizes it. Right now, he and the Cocker are curled up together at my feet under the desk. I need to be watchful when he wakes so I can scoop him up and get him outside right away. The new adventure begins……..

bird

Re: A new Adventure Begins

Post by bird » Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:14 pm

It sounds like the perfect start. I wish you and Hamish many wonderful days hunting together :)

crackerd

Post by crackerd » Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:32 pm

Great opening narrative for your new best friend, CC - had me rapt from the start. Love the name, too - maybe given the Chessie's propensity for water, you should formalise it with CKC registration as Hamish McBath! Best of luck in rearing and training the little nappy coated home and sanity invader!

MG

AlandJake
Dogs: Jake (Lab) & Coco (ESS)

Post by AlandJake » Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:52 pm

Very best of luck to you.
Happy retirement too.

Naj

Post by Naj » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:13 pm

Sounds a great choice and in a safe pair of hands. Happy retirement. :-D

Naj

chrokeva

Post by chrokeva » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:52 pm

Enjoy your new pup and don't forget to post some photos for us soon.

newf

Post by newf » Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:26 am

Yes, it would be interesting to see how you get on with your new pup. Congrats on retiring ! Because of that, you won't be able to fall back on the excuse of not having the time to train him properly. :-D :lol:

Jelinga
Dogs: Drift and Rourke

Post by Jelinga » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:48 am

Enjoyed reading about the pup, it will be interesting to see how he develops, look forward to reading more.

CockerCanuck
Dogs: Ruadh, Fergal, Hamish

Post by CockerCanuck » Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:20 pm

I just posted photos of Hamish in the photo section for those that are interested.

Judy
Co-Admin

Post by Judy » Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:44 am

How's it going? You've been very quiet, don't know whether thats a good thing or bad news! :lol:
In life, it is important to know when to stop arguing with people and simply let them be wrong.