Discuss working your Gundog or tell us about your experiences be it sublime or ridiculous!
Springfield Pointers

Re: wind

Post by Springfield Pointers » Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:47 pm

Sometimes judges fail to understand the conditions on the day. This results is major disagreements. Good dogs hunt to the ground and the conditions, some judges fail to realise this is happening.

Dogs: Too many and not enough !

Post by trekmoor » Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:45 pm

While judges cannot eliminate a dog for missing game if a dog fails to cover a section of ground (unless a bird is seen on that ground) they can mark that dog down for "missing" ground. In trials it could pay the handler to ensure all the ground was adequately covered.

The thing about the above that I always found annoying was that while my dog had maybe been marked down for missing ground, sometimes the trials winner had won while only hunting out to half the range of my dog ! I wanted to ask the judges...." What about all that missed ground" when a plodding boot polisher won a trial !

If at first you don't succeed .....find out if there is a booby prize !
Don't do what doesn't work - do what does.

Post by Naj » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:53 pm

Trials are really about testing the handler's training skills as much as the dog's nose, and this precise patterning is more about training than practical hunting. I get your point about a dog left to its own devices just hunting for itself, Wullie, but I wasn't advocating that. I put a lot of effort into developing field control while at the same time developing a pup's game sense so that the pup naturally hunts with reference to me but hunts efficiently to find game, but with minimal interference from me, cos I'll just distract it from the job in hand. We all know that dogs will quarter a wind naturally. We don't have to teach them how to do this, similarly with finding game. But we don't need to dictate how deep they bite forward. They know this instinctively and will self manage the depth of their casts according to prevailing wind and scent conditions. The main reason why handlers interfere with this is because that is what seems to be expected by trial judges. And/Or they've lost control of the dog and think they need to micro manage it. But the fact is that however much you try to control a dog's beat even the best will miss or bump the occasional bird or get too close and bust birds on the point. They're not machines. :think: