Who 'walks' their gundogs?

Discuss working your Gundog or tell us about your experiences be it sublime or ridiculous!
Naj

Re: Who 'walks' their gundogs?

Post by Naj » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:55 pm

Walk/exercise mine two or three times a day and any training is worked into exercise sessions except for the initial yard work. I exercise them on gamey ground so I do have to maintain some level of control. Once I'm shooting over a dog I don't do any gundog training other than maintaining recall and general good manners.

Naj

Springfield Pointers

Post by Springfield Pointers » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:59 pm

Naj wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:55 pm
Walk/exercise mine two or three times a day and any training is worked into exercise sessions except for the initial yard work. I exercise them on gamey ground so I do have to maintain some level of control. Once I'm shooting over a dog I don't do any gundog training other than maintaining recall and general good manners.

Naj
Must say, this is pretty much as I do it. Except for the two or three times a day bit... :)

WGD
Dogs: Plenty to keep me occupied

Post by WGD » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:43 am

Mine get walked every morning in the same place. They rarely get the opportunity to chase but other than that can do as they please. Younger ones tend to go a bit feral, the older ones who have had some training tend to know the drill and that there's nothing much going on compared to shooting or training so just bumble about. All spaniels.
ATB

WGD

Cass
Dogs: Lily (Dachshund) & Jake (Cocker)

Post by Cass » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:33 pm

Generally I don't take mine for walks as I live in the country so can just free run him out back in the fields. However up until last year when we bought this house I lived in town so I always walked him for both of our sanity. It certainly has no ill effect on a gun dog. I believe it's the opposite. Trains good control if you insist on it walking with a loose lead. I may start going for walks again down our road just for that reason.
"If you train a young dog for momentum, precision will arrive. If you train for precision, demanding perfection, momentum will depart." - Rex Carr

CockerCanuck
Dogs: Ruadh, Fergal, Hamish

Post by CockerCanuck » Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:31 am

I/we certainly do, several times each day. My wife takes all four together on leads down the country road we live on each morning. Just before supper we both take them all for a walk around the path on our property and through neighbouring fields off lead. They pretty much free run but I do insist on something like shooting range. In addition they get aired a couple of more times each day in the yard. I am fortunate to live where I can't see another house.