First time this season picking up!

Discuss working your Gundog or tell us about your experiences be it sublime or ridiculous!
Aimeetess
Dogs: Cocker

First time this season picking up!

Post by Aimeetess » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:48 am

It was our first time picking up of the season, I work my other halves black Labrador (who he trained himself) and he runs a small syndicated shoot on his dads land (between 40-100 bird days)
He use to use her on peg but we needed some more picker uppers a few of years back when we met (when I wanted to get involved) and since then that’s what we do, being 19 myself at that time and never done this sort of thing (red tons of books, webpages and forums!) there was plenty to learn but we got on well. We are both still learning (shes 4) but this is our 3rd season working together, she now seems to work nicer for me than him, strangely! We also got asked back to every shoot we picked up on last season, so can’t be too shabby! (or I hope not!)

First drive we were stood back on a steep ground, a couple of guns in front of us. She was eager to go but sat waiting patiently, a few of dead birds dropped but knowing they were dead already we left them for the guns dogs. Another pheasant down, I had to jump out the way and it still missed my head by an inch.. that gave the guns a giggle. A cock bird dropped behind us.. a runner, but this was the edge of the next drive. Un-decided what to do, but I know she’ll listen and will stop when asked. I went for it ‘get back’ stopped her on the whistle, she stopped dead. Directed her left and stopped her, asked her to hunt and she was on it. It was still strong and full of life, so was glad I sent her.

Another runner dropped again on the edge of the next drive, waited. Could see it running out of the next drive, making it a safer retrieve. Sent her back, stopped her, gave her the search command and she was on it. Wounded partridge. One thing I hate about picking is wounded birds, not nice but put it out of its misery as quick as I could. I left another dead bird for the gun, who sent his dog at the end of the drive. His dog searched around (while the gun chatted away oblivious to his dog looking for a direction or 2) with no luck, mind the dog hadn’t marked it, so it could have been anywhere in his mind. In the end he called his dog back saying he couldn’t find it and I sent mine straight back for it, a good distance and a nice memory retrieve.

We also had a nice partridge on the 3rd drive, I offered the guns to pick it as it was dead but non wanted too. The rest of the drives were very quiet and we had 40 in total for the day, one drive which is usually the biggest drive of the day had a few mistakes. Well, the beaters forgot which sides (of the 2 teams) to go on and we had no flaggers on one side of the flush point and them all on the other side, meaning about 400 birds flew straight back into the woodland – not a single bird shot on that drive by any 10 guns which was a real shame as plenty of birds about.

She worked brilliantly, we didn’t have tons of retrieves which doesn’t bother me, what she did was great. We left a lot of birds for the guns dogs which helps with her steadiness. My Cocker pup (who’s on crate rest) is allowed 3 lead walks a day even held first partridge at the end of the day, someone dropped one a (huge) 2 steps in front of us, for him to trot along while on his lead, pick it up and hand it to me, all excited, bless him. He’s come up feeding a lot but never seen one dead before so he was quite amazed seeing them all hung.

Hope not to bore anyone, but just a quick report. I was worried I was in the wrong for sending her for 2 runners in the next drive, but she didn't startle anything and luckily it was right on the edge of the drive. I knew if left, they may of ran into the (already worked) woodland and not been picked.
Really pleased with how well she worked, shes had little to no training all summer. We are picking up most weekends this year, on our shoot and another couple of local pheasant and partridge shoots, plus some occasional duck fighting we get asked to pick up.
Last edited by Aimeetess on Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ips
Dogs: Eze "cocker"

Re: First time this season picking up!

Post by ips » Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:10 pm

Great read, enjoyed that 👍
You sound a wonderful team 👍
Muddling along in the hope that one day it starts to make sense.

Drummer

Post by Drummer » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:07 am

I enjoyed reading that thanks. Me and my Lab boy have just been on our first Day and have our second this Saturday so it's great reading others experiences.

Aimeetess

Post by Aimeetess » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:40 am

Couldn't add a picture to the main post, so here it is!

ips

Post by ips » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:48 am

Great pic....he ain't barking there 😁

Aimeetess

Post by Aimeetess » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:56 am

Ha ips! She works brilliantly, its such a shame shes a bad barker when not working! :(

ips

Post by ips » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:20 pm

My cocker is same. Never makes a noise working but if someone comes in the drive or a dog walker goes down our lane she goes mental and nothing I have tried has stopped it. I have just accepted it as part of her character.
Flamin loud for a little dog though 😁