Burrs???

Discuss working your Gundog or tell us about your experiences be it sublime or ridiculous!
madrags
Dogs: Rowf and Link

Re: Burrs???

Post by madrags » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:14 pm

A few years ago, I noticed that Buzz was bunny hopping with his hind legs after a day beating. It turned out that he wasn't tired or hurt - he had just velcroed his trousers together.
I usually spray them with mane and tail conditioner before work, which makes burrs very easy to comb out. I've found a Marrs Coat King the best for combing out.
Inside every springer, no matter how well trained, is an idiot trying to get out

Pink isn't just a colour, it's an attitude

Gundogguy
Dogs: FC/AFC Alex, AFC Blaze, AFC Holly, AFC D

Post by Gundogguy » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:03 pm

Have lived with spaniels and burrs all life. I usually spray my dogs down with an aerosol cooking oil, in the states it goes by the name of "PAM". Does make clean-up a a whole lot simplier.
One time I was dutiful to give me lad a spray before the hunt. It was not long in to the quest that I noticed Banner dog had burrs on only one side of his body the side i had over looked when spraying. I have never made that mistake again!
"In the end We all get the dog we deserve"

crackerd

Post by crackerd » Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:11 pm

Gundogguy wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:03 pm
Have lived with spaniels and burrs all life. I usually spray my dogs down with an aerosol cooking oil, in the states it goes by the name of "PAM". Does make clean-up a a whole lot simplier.
One time I was dutiful to give me lad a spray before the hunt. It was not long in to the quest that I noticed Banner dog had burrs on only one side of his body the side i had over looked when spraying. I have never made that mistake again!
Gundogguy - as long as you don't spray PAM on those "thoroughly used" ducks at HRC hunt tests that you and Rick Hall have been discussing elsewhere :lol: Now that would really whet your whistle for "calling the sport into disrepute." (I've enjoyed the dialog, as might OP CC, but must tell you that AKC has something close to immunity in that regard, as flyers get "recycled" through each series of a test or trial - but HRC doesn't offer/seldom offers flyers, so...

MG

Gundogguy
Dogs: FC/AFC Alex, AFC Blaze, AFC Holly, AFC D

Post by Gundogguy » Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:02 pm

crackerd wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:11 pm
Gundogguy wrote:
Gundogguy - as long as you don't spray PAM on those "thoroughly used" ducks at HRC hunt tests that you and Rick Hall have been discussing elsewhere :lol: Now that would really whet your whistle for "calling the sport into disrepute." (I've enjoyed the dialog, as might OP CC, but must tell you that AKC has something close to immunity in that regard, as flyers get "recycled" through each series of a test or trial - but HRC doesn't offer/seldom offers flyers, so...

MG

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Hope Garlic flavored Pam is not used.
As for Recycled birds Generally what happens are that Pick-ups and pegged birds are held till the end of the weekend. Then they are sold at a nice discount to those needing training birds to take home. With a little pen rest, they work out later on nicely in the training field. I have done that a number of times over the years
"In the end We all get the dog we deserve"

crackerd

Post by crackerd » Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:02 pm

Gundogguy wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:02 pm
crackerd wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:11 pm
Gundogguy wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Hope Garlic flavored Pam is not used.
Garlic-flavored PAM would only be used at French hunt tests.

As for pegged and trapped birds "finding a new home" after spaniel events, alas, there are no "catch-and-release" ducks (or pheasants) at AKC retriever trials or hunt tests. But there's often the offer of new homes for the birds - in trainers' freezers - by the club staging the FT or test after they've saved a requisite number of birds to start next year's FT or test with thawed-out (but wholesomely presented!) birds.

MG

High On
Dogs: Mae , Molly, Sticker

Post by High On » Sat Dec 23, 2017 4:09 pm

I start the deburring process with a dematting rake and finish with the Mars Coat King.