perfect beating dog

Discuss working your Gundog or tell us about your experiences be it sublime or ridiculous!
Judy
Co-Admin

Re: perfect beating dog

Post by Judy » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:37 pm

Try the very first one in this thread SP, unlike most threads on here this one is still on topic. :lol: :lol:
If in the process of winning, you have lost the respect of your competitors, you have won nothing. Paul Elvström.

munstyman

Post by munstyman » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:40 pm

I always thought dogs in the beating line were there solely for the purpose of getting a rise out of the keeper :whistle: :lol: :lol:

ips
Dogs: Eze "cocker"

Post by ips » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:00 pm

ips wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:32 pm
I never said it or mine hunted at two yards I said the dog stayed within two yards when not hunting and was required to be steady but the dog hunts well when commanded.

QUOTE FROM ORIGINAL POST
The ess never goes more than two yards from him even with dozens or hundreds of birds at the flush point. The dog shows total disinterest in birds until cover needs hunting then it hunts. when it needs to be at heel it heels.
This one my friend 👍
Muddling along in the hope that one day it starts to make sense.

ips

Post by ips » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:01 pm

Sunday afternoon quite by chance one of the beaters on estate who lives a mile from me was walking down our lane with his 19wk old pup. A very calm ess dog much calmer than eze ever was as a pup or indeed is now. During the conversation it turns out that this pup is from "the perfect beating dog " or rather bitch. I complimented Mr perfect beating dog on monday on how calm and steady his bitch was and what a lovely little pup Mr X had got off him. I went on to enquire if he considers the steadiness to be trained or bred. He reckons its mainly down to breeding and did not elaborate on any specific training method or regime. He plans on another litter next summer so I have voiced my possible interest 😁

trekmoor
Dogs: Too many and not enough !

Post by trekmoor » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:10 pm

It takes all kinds to make a world. I like "nutcase" pups and hot dogs ! :lol:

Wullie
If at first you don't succeed .....find out if there is a booby prize !
-----------------------------------------------------
Don't do what doesn't work - do what does.

ips

Post by ips » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:02 pm

Yeah but your weird 😁

Nickheref

Post by Nickheref » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:01 am

trekmoor wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:10 pm

Wullie
Doesn't mean it won't have drive! I heard from a chap last night who had a very easy straight forward lab pup that is now 18 months old and he announced that it will never make it as a gundog because although it swims like a fish and carries things about all day it won't bring them to him!!!!! Obviously not his fault then :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

newf

Post by newf » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:39 pm

Nickheref wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:01 am
trekmoor wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:10 pm

Wullie
Doesn't mean it won't have drive! I heard from a chap last night who had a very easy straight forward lab pup that is now 18 months old and he announced that it will never make it as a gundog because although it swims like a fish and carries things about all day it won't bring them to him!!!!! Obviously not his fault then :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sounds like a perfect candidate for the trained retrieve (treat trained); failing that, at least force fetch. :whistle: Even if it was decided that the animal should not be bred from, it would be a shame to waste any dog if there is a corrective solution. :(

Nickheref

Post by Nickheref » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:22 am

There is nothing wrong with the dog at all and there wouldn't be a problem if the "training" had been different. Half a morning with someone who understands dogs would sort it BUT then it would be back with its owner and no doubt it would go wrong again! I am not a lab fan but if I did want one I would hope to get a pup like her.