Day didn't go to plan...

Discuss working your Gundog or tell us about your experiences be it sublime or ridiculous!
Nickheref

Re: Day didn't go to plan...

Post by Nickheref » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:29 pm

ips wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:54 am
Aimeetess, as you know and as I have found out beating a small shoot is a far cry from the military exercise of a large estate. Small shoot much more relaxed for handler and therefore the dog, no major damage can be done but beaters need to do as they are requested. Most if not all dogs on the estate I beat on are popped on the lead at numerous occasions in order to avoid what happened on your shoot.
One thing I note from the very best FT handlers is that the dogs are on a lead up until they start working and put straight back on a lead when finished, there does not seem to be the "look how steady my dog is at loose heel" situation that most beaters do or at least attempt to. All that seems to happen is a constant tone of "heel" resounding as we all nag the dog to death. 😉
You are right, there is a sort of bravado about "I don't need a lead" but the wiser ones know when to use one rather than the constant nagging (or my particular hate - the noisy attempt to get a dog back and listening before starting to hunt up some ground ensuring that any game is well aware of your presence before you even start :evil: because you haven't started the owners seem to think it doesn't count or matter but the birds do!!) that the dog soon learns to ignore and results in training on the day with extreme prejudice!!

ips
Dogs: Eze "cocker"

Post by ips » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:36 pm

Ha, extreme prejudice 😁
A quote from one of my favourite films 👍
Muddling along in the hope that one day it starts to make sense.

Dartmoordog
Dogs: Monty (Sprocker) Steeno (ESS)

Post by Dartmoordog » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:25 pm

Nickheref wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:29 pm
ips wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:54 am
Aimeetess, as you know and as I have found out beating a small shoot is a far cry from the military exercise of a large estate. Small shoot much more relaxed for handler and therefore the dog, no major damage can be done but beaters need to do as they are requested. Most if not all dogs on the estate I beat on are popped on the lead at numerous occasions in order to avoid what happened on your shoot.
One thing I note from the very best FT handlers is that the dogs are on a lead up until they start working and put straight back on a lead when finished, there does not seem to be the "look how steady my dog is at loose heel" situation that most beaters do or at least attempt to. All that seems to happen is a constant tone of "heel" resounding as we all nag the dog to death. 😉
You are right, there is a sort of bravado about "I don't need a lead" but the wiser ones know when to use one rather than the constant nagging (or my particular hate - the noisy attempt to get a dog back and listening before starting to hunt up some ground ensuring that any game is well aware of your presence before you even start :evil: because you haven't started the owners seem to think it doesn't count or matter but the birds do!!) that the dog soon learns to ignore and results in training on the day with extreme prejudice!!
Such wise words nicely put.
Be careful what you say about my wife or kids, be VERY careful what you say about my gundogs.