Advice wcs with queen ann legs.

Discuss working your Gundog or tell us about your experiences be it sublime or ridiculous!
ESS

Advice wcs with queen ann legs.

Post by ESS » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:25 pm

Evening folks I have a 6 month old cocker the front legs are slightly bent, "Queen ann legs"
He has no problem running walking etc is this a problem I have no experience with this so not entirely sure what's the best thing to do.
I'm looking to buy the dog you see I'm slightly concerned about it. I've been looking at insurance today which does cover congenital conditions.
Could anybody advice me here?
Really as he's in no pain does it need looking at or leave it alone. I've been told it's really common in wc spaniels. He's extremely small too he's 8kg.
Many thanks

Judy
Co-Admin

Re: Advice wcs with queen ann legs.

Post by Judy » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:58 pm

If you are looking to buy the dog but are concerned enough to ask then don't go ahead with it, it will always be a niggling worry and there are plenty of better specimens about.
In life, it is important to know when to stop arguing with people and simply let them be wrong.

ESS

Post by ESS » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:26 pm

Hi, I currently have the dog with me on trial to see how my 5 year old springer gets on with him.The legs don't bother me nor him. What I want to know is it a problem or can a dog live fine with it and leave them alone.
I'd rather have him and sort it if it's something that should be surgically corrected rather than going and getting another dog...
He's a lovely little fella and actually good breeding.

Naj

Post by Naj » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:33 pm

Plenty of spaniels have had Queen Ann legs and gone on to work OK. Depends how bad they are. Saw a clip of a young cocker with them recently and they were so bad they made the dog look like it was hobbling on the front end. Not good at all. I agree with Judy and would look elsewhere if I had the option, but if you take it I wouldn’t breed from such a dog and risk passing it.

Naj

Don’t think you can have them surgically corrected.

ips
Dogs: Eze "cocker"

Post by ips » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:49 pm

Bloke on estate has a ess with such legs, looks really strange and very obvious but it seems to work well 👍
Muddling along in the hope that one day it starts to make sense.

ESS

Post by ESS » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:49 am

Thanks for the replies. They arnt to bad, il try post a picture but I arnt sure how to do it.
They don't hinder him at all at the moment.
I was under the impression they cut a bone in the leg for it straighten out. Might be wrong.

ESS

Post by ESS » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:51 am

20171115_095102.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ESS

Post by ESS » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:53 am

20171115_095102.jpg
20171108_160842.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ESS

Post by ESS » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:59 am

Best pictures I could get, depends how he stands they look different.
It's not a question should I buy the dog, it's do these dogs require a non working life and require operations to straighten out. I'm thinking as it doesn't bother him leave it alone. My springers legs are perfectly straight compared to these lol.

Rascal
Co-Admin

Post by Rascal » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:00 am

Have you taken vets advice at all? If I was considering a dog such as this then that would be my first move. Then again that might negate any future insurance so check the small print...

I would think ongoing you could run into arthritis problems which could foreshorten the dogs working life. Spaniels are excellent at masking pain so you would have to be observant. Depends what you want him for really if you are not bothered by the potential pitfalls then that’s ok. Never heard of operations to straighten this sort of problem but then I’m not a vet, even if there were I would think working a dog thereafter might be out of the question.

If I was looking for another dog with all the dogs available then I would chose one without a congenital defect. I would let my head rule my heart on this one.

Just my thoughts...

Rascal
General Dogsbody