dogs hearing and gunshot

Discuss working your Gundog or tell us about your experiences be it sublime or ridiculous!
ips
Dogs: Eze "cocker"

dogs hearing and gunshot

Post by ips » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:10 pm

Whilst loading yesterday I forgot to put my ear plugs in and was deafened by the gunshot that prompted me to put em in. This got me thinking.
Considering that dogs hearing is much better than ours how can they tolerate being shot over particularly at a peg. One would think that they would all be gunshy and have knackered hearing??
Last edited by ips on Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Muddling along in the hope that one day it starts to make sense.

trekmoor
Dogs: Too many and not enough !

Re: dogs hearing and gunshot

Post by trekmoor » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:25 pm

Eh ? What did yer say ? :lol:

I am almost totally deaf in one ear and slightly deaf in the other one after years of shooting with no ear protection. I sometimes wonder if my dogs begin to go deaf earlier than they should due to shooting noise (I used to do a lot of pigeon, duck and goose shooting while sitting in hides with my dog right beside me.)

My springer "Edge" actually ran away from a pegged gun at the very end of last shooting season. The gun was standing in the bottom of a steep sided little valley with a wood close behind us. He missed everything he fired at and my dog began to get worried about the noise from the gun plus the echo from the wooded valley so he ran away.

This season he has shown no signs at all of being either gun-nervous or deaf . I think where the pegs are situated can be a problem for some dogs and maybe some people too ?

Wullie
If at first you don't succeed .....find out if there is a booby prize !
-----------------------------------------------------
Don't do what doesn't work - do what does.

Aimeetess
Dogs: Cocker

Post by Aimeetess » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:26 pm

Interesting. Slightly different but as he has alot to do with my work, Will Garfitts dogs have all gone deaf at a young age from sitting in the hide, a bit different as a lot more shots to game though. His current golden retriever has to always sit a good 15/20ft away from the hide to try and save his hearing so it must affect them in some ways..

ips

Re: dogs gearing and gunshot

Post by ips » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:34 pm

trekmoor wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:25 pm
Eh ? What did yer say ? :lol:

I am almost totally deaf in one ear and slightly deaf in the other one after years of shooting with no ear protection. I sometimes wonder if my dogs begin to go deaf earlier than they should due to shooting noise (I used to do a lot of pigeon, duck and goose shooting while sitting in hides with my dog right beside me.)

My springer "Edge" actually ran away from a pegged gun at the very end of last shooting season. The gun was standing in the bottom of a steep sided little valley with a wood close behind us. He missed everything he fired at and my dog began to get worried about the noise from the gun plus the echo from the wooded valley so he ran away.

This season he has shown no signs at all of being either gun-nervous or deaf . I think where the pegs are situated can be a problem for some dogs and maybe some people too ?

Wullie
I SAID ...😁

You may remember that last season eze was sensitive to shot on a peg but after a few retrieves she seemed to get over it. No sign this year but I suspect she only tolerates it with the hope of a retrieve. I often wonder were the best place is to sit her hup on a peg in order to be in the least noisy place if indeed there is one. She now defaults to two yards in front and a yard to my right, I have no idea why. I would like to think that she has found the least noisy spot but I would imagine it isn't there 😲

ips

Post by ips » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:41 pm

This is were she defaults to.
(ignore my growl only five minutes earlier she ran in to a pricked bird so I was making sure 😁)
Surely that cant be the least noisy spot. ??

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eQFjg4A3foo

westcountry
Dogs: Fluppy,Daniel,Patches,Marsha ,Marcie.

Post by westcountry » Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:08 pm

Seen idiots take young dogs to clay shoots to get them used to gunshot. As you say IPS EZE puts up with the noise because she may well get a retrieve. Thats why we train them with the kiddys cap gun or starting pistol and a dummy.
There are an incredibly high number of deaf spaniels around though,some of these dogs pick up on 500 plus bird days so it is perhaps not that surprising.

Gundogguy
Dogs: FC/AFC Alex, AFC Blaze, AFC Holly, AFC D

Post by Gundogguy » Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:56 am

Over the years many hearing impaired spaniels. Pickers and rough shooting alike
"In the end We all get the dog we deserve"