ESS Calender

Discuss working your Gundog or tell us about your experiences be it sublime or ridiculous!
Blackjaw

ESS Calender

Post by Blackjaw » Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:50 pm

As you can tell by most of the pics, we in the U.S. REALLY like a bold flush :-D

http://www.geeb.net/galleries/calendars/2018-calendar/

newf

Re: ESS Calender

Post by newf » Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:23 pm

Great shots and commentary !

westcountry
Dogs: Fluppy,Daniel,Patches,Marsha ,Marcie.

Post by westcountry » Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:45 pm

Like it.

Blackjaw

Post by Blackjaw » Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:50 pm

I think my favorite part is that they snuck a cocker in to what I think was supposed to be a springer only calender.

Nickheref

Post by Nickheref » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:05 am

I must admit I have never really understood the desire for a bold flush, to me it is a failed pegging attempt and always makes me think that the dog is not working with me it is doing it for itself. Are dogs eliminated for pegging in American trials or is it considered a cartridge saved?

Nickheref

Post by Nickheref » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:13 am

Nickheref wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:05 am
I must admit I have never really understood the desire for a bold flush, to me it is a failed pegging attempt and always makes me think that the dog is not working with me it is doing it for itself. Are dogs eliminated for pegging in American trials or is it considered a cartridge saved?
Just thought, what does a bold flush on a rabbit look like?????

Naj

Post by Naj » Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:00 pm

I think it came about in part because American trainers do most of their training on planted and clip winged pigeons and pegging, or trapping, is inevitable, and encouraged to produce that flying flush. And due to the nature of access to public shooting, field trials have to be run on planted game rather than wild birds. Consequently, trapping a bird isn’t an eliminating fault in American trials as I understand it. From what I’ve seen it’s still a very controlled business and I’ve seen impressive clips of dogs slamming into a sit immediately on landing. :think:

Naj

Blackjaw

Post by Blackjaw » Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:11 pm

Yes, due to planted birds there is no penalty for pegging/trapping as long as the birds are uninjured. If the birds are of poor quality it is not uncommon for a dog to trap 3-4 birds before it gets a flyer and it is not unheard of for a dog to run a series and not get a flush (they need to be judged on atleast one flush and retrieve, so things can get tricky trying to get a dog in the second series of a trial a retrieve if it didnt have one in the first). Not sure the genesis of our rewarding the flying flush (flying on the dogs part that is).

Gundogguy
Dogs: FC/AFC Alex, AFC Blaze, AFC Holly, AFC D

Post by Gundogguy » Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:20 pm

Another view of boldness!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"In the end We all get the dog we deserve"

Gundogguy
Dogs: FC/AFC Alex, AFC Blaze, AFC Holly, AFC D

Post by Gundogguy » Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:24 am

Nickheref wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:13 am
Nickheref wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:05 am
Just thought, what does a bold flush on a rabbit look like?????
:-D :lol: Fur everywhere!
"In the end We all get the dog we deserve"