different types of dog work

Discuss working your Gundog or tell us about your experiences be it sublime or ridiculous!
ips
Dogs: Eze "cocker"

different types of dog work

Post by ips » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:03 pm

Who works there dog in different context.

As in commercial estate beating
Syndicate stand one walk one type
Rough shooting

Who finds the transition easy who finds it difficult ?

Interested because personally I find the type of work required from the dog for the above to be entirely different to each other.
Muddling along in the hope that one day it starts to make sense.

Rough_mut

Re: different types of dog work

Post by Rough_mut » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:08 pm

Mine does predominantly beating and picking up on a small driven syndicate.

Goes between the two quite easily although I would say he is probably a bit 'rangey' to beat on a big commercial, and probably a little bit 'wild' for picking up behind a line of guns.

I have used him for rough shooting which he took to like a duck to water, I would much prefer to do this type of shooting as I do think it is more natural for a Springer to do this, where as I think they have to be 'taught' how to sit still behind a line of guns.

I'm a strong believer that dogs learn in context and they can 'know' what they are meant to be doing?

Could be wrong but I would imagine they are all versatile but as with anything if they only did one type i would imagine they would be much better at it?

Rm

ips

Post by ips » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:00 am

Sounds about right RM, maybe a case of jack of all trades but never perfect at any unless used / trained specifically for that purpose.
I would like to do a day picking up as I believe she would be in her element but I fear it would ruin her on the beating line (even more ruined than she is 😁) she has now learned that the sound of the horn to end the drive means that she might get to help sweep up.

Nickheref

Post by Nickheref » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:35 am

I think to a large extent it depends upon the individual dog and the amount if each different type of work it does, some find it easier than others to swap jobs, usually in my view because they are brighter and get the "context" better.

ips

Post by ips » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:00 am

Nickheref wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:35 am
I think to a large extent it depends upon the individual dog and the amount if each different type of work it does, some find it easier than others to swap jobs, usually in my view because they are brighter and get the "context" better.
Makes sense nick 👍

Miesque
Dogs: Dan (ESS), Archie (Lurcher), Zou (ESS)

Post by Miesque » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:07 pm

Rough shoot, beat and pick up on a 40,000 bird commercial driven estate and trial. Oh and take up space on the sofa

Naj

Post by Naj » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:27 pm

If you can give your dog regular and fairly equal experience at beating, picking-up and roughshooting then it will slip into each discipline without compromising the work that it does. The problem for most is that they haven’t the time or the opportunity to do this. :think:

Naj

Jelinga
Dogs: Drift and Rourke

Post by Jelinga » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:35 pm

I certainly found my GSPs could beat, pick up and rough shoot with no problems, probably because I didn't expect any :-D

Naj

Post by Naj » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:49 pm

Jelinga wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:35 pm
I certainly found my GSPs could beat, pick up and rough shoot with no problems, probably because I didn't expect any :-D
:clap: :lol:

But a GSP is the only true Versatile gundog. :snooty: :lol:

Springfield Pointers

Post by Springfield Pointers » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:43 am

I have a friend who uses GSP's for K9 search and rescue work. The dogs are hunted over as well as accomplished field trial competitors.
My dogs would happily sit in a duck blind, pick up at a pigeon or driven shoot as well as hunt as they were intended. It's all about context, exposure and control, it's got nothing to do with the dog or "confusing" it. Discipline is discipline, and building a partnership with your dog is critical to your success - without it you are just whistling into the wind.