Another retrieving issue

Discuss working your Gundog or tell us about your experiences be it sublime or ridiculous!
ips
Dogs: Eze "cocker"

Another retrieving issue

Post by ips » Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:42 pm

Whilst roost shooting on Saturday one of the birds dropped outside of the pen that we were in. I had no idea if there was a gap anywhere so I sent her "get out" to see if she could find a way out, she had marked the bird well and found a way out. She retrieved the bird but could not find the way back in so dropped the bird at the fence and went to look for another bird which there wasn't. I ended up picking it up myself but on reflection I am unsure how I should have handled it. ??
Muddling along in the hope that one day it starts to make sense.

chrokeva

Re: Another retrieving issue

Post by chrokeva » Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:59 pm

Kind of sounds like your dog would rather hunt than retrieve.
Personally I would have made sure my dog had a way in and out of the pen even if I had to walk with the dog at heel and find the exit/entrance and then send the dog on a blind. The dog should finish the retrieve before being allowed to continue to hunt or you could cause some bad habits imo

ips

Post by ips » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:06 pm

Point taken, thank you.

Yes I realised after the event that I probably didn't handle it well. I think my mind was more on shooting than dog work 😞

trekmoor
Dogs: Too many and not enough !

Post by trekmoor » Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:12 pm

You plonker IPS ! :lol: Your dog did her best for you but you did not do your best for her ! It is a partnership remember.
I pick up from inside very large pheasant pens every week of the shooting season. Some birds fall outside the pen and if I want them back quickly I send my cocker Charlie. He is a clever little sod and he knows he cannot get through the wire to birds but he also knows where the gates to the pens are and instead of going to the wire he runs straight to the nearest gate....he knows where the gates are so he wastes no time coming back in through them either once he has the bird.
I do not have to help him or show him where pen gates are.

My springer "Edge" is not so clever and with him I still have to help him find where the gates are .....and he still runs to the pen wire nearest to the fallen birds. He will get the idea eventually but I will have to help him until he does. It's a partnership.

Must admit though that I was always the opposite of you. I shot at birds in order to train gundogs, you are more interested in the actual shooting.

Wullie
If at first you don't succeed .....find out if there is a booby prize !
-----------------------------------------------------
Don't do what doesn't work - do what does.

ips

Post by ips » Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:39 pm

😀
Sounds about right wullie. Neither of us knew a way out but she found a route just couldn't or wouldn't find the way back. On reflection shortly before this bird I shot at but missed another she looked as though she marked it but it definitely was not hit. I wonder if she still thought there was a retrieve out there, no excuse for not bringing that one to hand though. Not overly concerned it was just a hiccup.

Ah well, you say that but in actual fact these days I am more interested in the dog work, the shooting aspect just goes with it. That's the reason I sometimes miss easy birds , because I am trying to hard to give her a retrieve 😀

Naj

Post by Naj » Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:18 pm

I agree with Wullie. You plonker, Ips. :lol: It is a partnership and you should trust your dog. Thinking that she ‘couldn’t or wouldn’t find her way back’ isnt giving her the benefit of the obvious doubt here. And sending her from inside a pen while not knowing if she could get out isn’t conducive to building a trusting partnership, especially with a relatively inexperienced dog. And wherever wire is involved safety is the first thing that springs to my mind. All part of the learning curve. ;)

Naj

ips

Post by ips » Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:50 pm

Naj wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:18 pm
I agree with Wullie. You plonker, Ips. :lol: It is a partnership and you should trust your dog. Thinking that she ‘couldn’t or wouldn’t find her way back’ isnt giving her the benefit of the obvious doubt here. And sending her from inside a pen while not knowing if she could get out isn’t conducive to building a trusting partnership, especially with a relatively inexperienced dog. And wherever wire is involved safety is the first thing that springs to my mind. All part of the learning curve. ;)

Naj
Ha 😀
Okey doke we have at least concluded that I am a plinker 😀

All duly noted, my cock up, many thanks 👍

chrokeva

Post by chrokeva » Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:25 pm

Don't be hard on yourself.
I lost count of how many times I have let my dog down due to inexperience or just not knowing any better. I still make mistakes....I just try not to make the same mistake more than twice :). Like Naj said it is all part of the learning curve.

ips

Post by ips » Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:32 pm

chrokeva wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:25 pm
Don't be hard on yourself.
I lost count of how many times I have let my dog down due to inexperience or just not knowing any better. I still make mistakes....I just try not to make the same mistake more than twice :). Like Naj said it is all part of the learning curve.
Cheers, I will learn from it 👍

Judy
Co-Admin

Post by Judy » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:37 am

Some dogs are clever little sods when it comes to finding or remembering the way to and from retrieves, some aren't. One thing I have noticed with all my Cockers is they are inclined to drop a bird if they lose me, once I'm spotted they will go back and get the bird. They seem to easily go into panic mode and ditch the retrieve so that they can concentrate on finding me, my Flatcoats thought more of what was in their gob than they did of me...
In life, it is important to know when to stop arguing with people and simply let them be wrong.