Hunt command

Discuss working your Gundog or tell us about your experiences be it sublime or ridiculous!
ips
Member
Posts: 5618
Joined: Sat May 30, 2015 7:34 pm
Dogs: Eze "cocker"
Location: UK

Hunt command

Post by ips »

Out of interest what verbal command do you use to release your dog to hunt and to encourage it to continue hunting a given area. This question is mainly aimed at spaniels and beating / rough shooting.
Muddling along in the hope that one day it starts to make sense.
Springcopse spaniels
Member
Posts: 489
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:16 pm

Re: Hunt command

Post by Springcopse spaniels »

Teapot, wine, seek, hunt use what ever you like.
Some handlers use a whistle on a cast to hide faults....
I don't expect a dog to stop hunting until i tell it otherwise
A well schooled dog will open doors, a poor one closes them quickly.
WGD
Member
Posts: 2323
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:41 pm
Dogs: Plenty to keep me occupied

Re: Hunt command

Post by WGD »

Springcopse spaniels wrote: ↑Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:11 pm Some handlers use a whistle on a cast to hide faults....
Why is using a whistle casting off hiding faults? And why is it any different to any other verbal or whistle command ?
ATB

WGD
Rough_mut
Member
Posts: 483
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2015 7:39 pm

Re: Hunt command

Post by Rough_mut »

ips wrote: ↑Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:06 pm Out of interest what verbal command do you use to release your dog to hunt and to encourage it to continue hunting a given area. This question is mainly aimed at spaniels and beating / rough shooting.
I find my spaniel doesn't need to be given a command to hunt..... it's sort of become his natural behaviour!

Stopping on the other hand......

I think it depends if you mean hunt an area.... or stick to an area when on a retrieve?
ips
Member
Posts: 5618
Joined: Sat May 30, 2015 7:34 pm
Dogs: Eze "cocker"
Location: UK

Re: Hunt command

Post by ips »

Rough_mut wrote: ↑Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:41 pm
ips wrote: ↑Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:06 pm Out of interest what verbal command do you use to release your dog to hunt and to encourage it to continue hunting a given area. This question is mainly aimed at spaniels and beating / rough shooting.
I find my spaniel doesn't need to be given a command to hunt..... it's sort of become his natural behaviour!

Stopping on the other hand......

I think it depends if you mean hunt an area.... or stick to an area when on a retrieve?
I mean to hunt an area, (as in stay close) but not on a retrieve !!
Muddling along in the hope that one day it starts to make sense.
Springfield Pointers
Member
Posts: 4588
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:27 am

Re: Hunt command

Post by Springfield Pointers »

I haven't had a dog that needed a command to hunt. I pray I never do.
If you mean: a command to cast a dog off, then you can train a dog with anything - use any word you like.
ips
Member
Posts: 5618
Joined: Sat May 30, 2015 7:34 pm
Dogs: Eze "cocker"
Location: UK

Re: Hunt command

Post by ips »

Springfield Pointers wrote: ↑Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:11 pm I haven't had a dog that needed a command to hunt. I pray I never do.
If you mean: a command to cast a dog off, then you can train a dog with anything - use any word you like.
Yrs, that's what i mean
Muddling along in the hope that one day it starts to make sense.
Springfield Pointers
Member
Posts: 4588
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:27 am

Re: Hunt command

Post by Springfield Pointers »

ips wrote: ↑Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:02 pm
Springfield Pointers wrote: ↑Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:11 pm I haven't had a dog that needed a command to hunt. I pray I never do.
If you mean: a command to cast a dog off, then you can train a dog with anything - use any word you like.
Yrs, that's what i mean
I use "get on", or an outstretched arm - if the dog is stopped at a distance where my voice won't carry, and it's not watching me, a single short pip on the whistle.
For close/careful work i use an open downturned palm, usually with the word "here".
trekmoor
Member
Posts: 16074
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:38 am
Dogs: Too many and not enough !
Location: Central Scotland

Re: Hunt command

Post by trekmoor »

I used a sort of "Shhh! Shhh!" sound when I last had a go at hunting a spaniel in tests. I tend to make that sound anyway due to my extreme breathlessness and the judges just thought it was a poor old man having trouble walking ! I cast spaniels off to hunt in more than one way. I can use "Shhhh!" or I can say "Get on !" or I can just wave a hand or swing my head in the required direction. A dog that actually wants to hunt will be looking and listening for any move or sound from you that allows it to hunt.

I just blow turn if I want a spaniel to keep in a bit .

With HPR's I do have a very definite command to have them begin to hunt and the same command (a sort of curlew call made on the whistle) also doubles as a command to move in and flush and a command to cease to "dwell on scent" in a particular area and get the hunting going again. This command is one that I train for a lot as it can be used at even a couple of hundred yards from the dog.

I used it quite often when doing grouse counts when my dog went on point 100 or more yards uphill from me .... it saved me a lot of walking ! I could still count the grouse after the dog had flushed them and then just command the dog to hunt on again.


Wullie
If at first you don't succeed .....find out if there is a booby prize !
-----------------------------------------------------
Don't do what doesn't work - do what does.
.
ips
Member
Posts: 5618
Joined: Sat May 30, 2015 7:34 pm
Dogs: Eze "cocker"
Location: UK

Re: Hunt command

Post by ips »

Does anyone use "hi lost" to keep the dog hunting in a given area close to the handler or is that only ever used on retrieves.

The point to the post is that similar to my recall command or rather the new one i am considering re training a command for very close hunting as i am pondering on weather or not my current "get in" has become a kind of release command it being similar to my command "get out" to make a retrieve...could be talking utter bollox but there you go. 😁
So i am looking at using a totally new command, totally different to any other verbal and one that will convey the need for her to hunt Very very close in.
Muddling along in the hope that one day it starts to make sense.
Post Reply