Always great when you have a dog who is a naturally calm socialite when around all sorts, children and adults. As you describe, a good dog can make one proud as a result of sound training even in completing a convenience retrieve away from actual work.
Trouble with Hamish
Re: Trouble with Hamish
Great story, CC! I can relate to the guy being stuck in deep snow, it has happened to me many a time, more so, in my younger days and less as I’ve aged with the sense of avoiding trouble.
Always great when you have a dog who is a naturally calm socialite when around all sorts, children and adults. As you describe, a good dog can make one proud as a result of sound training even in completing a convenience retrieve away from actual work.
My dogs have been of great benefit away from hunting too in retrieving a forgotten helmet, keys or cap.
Always great when you have a dog who is a naturally calm socialite when around all sorts, children and adults. As you describe, a good dog can make one proud as a result of sound training even in completing a convenience retrieve away from actual work.
Re: Trouble with Hamish
A most enjoyable read CC. 
Muddling along in the hope that one day it starts to make sense.
-
CockerCanuck
- Member
- Posts: 1372
- Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:56 pm
- Dogs: Fergal, Hamish, Ceilidh
- Location: SW Ontario, Canada
Re: Trouble with Hamish
Well, an update for those who have followed the story of this unusual dog. I know the type of shooting I do with him (waterfowl from a boat) is not done much over there so I will keep it short. Hamish is five now. He remains 100% physically sound and shows no sign of the bad hip he had as a pup. We have just come off two weeks of very good duck shooting and Hamish was flawless. He and I have gotten to the stage beyond just obedient to "partnership". He just knows his job. Is very happy to do it and goes about it in a quiet workmanlike way. Last week I had a friend down shooting with me who I have not seen since pre-Covid when Hammy was young. During our hunt my friend commented "do you control that dog with telepathy?" I had not given it much thought because the transition has been slow but now during a typical day shooting, I really give him no commands or direction save quietly saying his name to release him on a retrieve. Other than that, he knows where to sit in the middle of the boat on the decoys while we run out, moves up out of the way to the bow seat while we set decoys and then moves back to the stern seat for shooting. There he watches out a dog door in my boat-blind and uses the dog ladder to climb back in on his return with the bird all without any direction. He has a wonderful nose, handles his birds perfectly and hunts on his retrieves with real determination.
I am so glad I took a chance on him when he was a pup who looked like he may well have no future.
I am so glad I took a chance on him when he was a pup who looked like he may well have no future.
I'm suspicious of people who don't like dogs, but I trust a dog when it doesn't like a person. - Bill Murray
Re: Trouble with Hamish
Nice read CC 
Muddling along in the hope that one day it starts to make sense.
-
Debs
- Member
- Posts: 146
- Joined: Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:30 pm
- Dogs: Harry,Scout,Widget & Bobby
- Location: Croydon,Surrey
Re: Trouble with Hamish
Hi CC. I have been a follower on this site for many years and seldom post.
There are a few people I read about,Trekmoor being the most entertaining and insightful but sadly no more. I missed the Tex story and now up to speed. Your tales of Hamish have given rise to an itch that only a CBR can settle.As an owner of Cockers they can be a tad high handed and “ know alls”. In the nicest possible way of course. I am so pleased you saved him with his op. It does sound bally cold over there though. Thanks for your stories.They brighten a dreary day.
Deb
There are a few people I read about,Trekmoor being the most entertaining and insightful but sadly no more. I missed the Tex story and now up to speed. Your tales of Hamish have given rise to an itch that only a CBR can settle.As an owner of Cockers they can be a tad high handed and “ know alls”. In the nicest possible way of course. I am so pleased you saved him with his op. It does sound bally cold over there though. Thanks for your stories.They brighten a dreary day.
Deb
-
CockerCanuck
- Member
- Posts: 1372
- Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:56 pm
- Dogs: Fergal, Hamish, Ceilidh
- Location: SW Ontario, Canada
Re: Trouble with Hamish
Well thank you very much Debs. I am quite pleased you enjoy Hamish's story. I am not very technically skilled but am going to try and send a group of photos I hope you will enjoy. Wednesday was probably our last day shooting waterfowl for 2022. The icy grip of winter is upon us and very little open water means our ducks are moving on to warmer climes. I went out at dawn with my usual shooting partner Dave and we broke ice with the boat to our chosen spot and then ran the boat around in circles to open up a pond in which we set our decoys. The shooting was exceptional and Hamish was flawless. I hope the pictures tell the story.
Picture 1 setting Decoys.
Picture 2 Hamish returning from long retrieve through ice.
Picture 3 Hamish with mallard.
Picture 4 Hamish in his "office".
Picture 5 To reassure you his life is not all hard work in cold water.





Picture 1 setting Decoys.
Picture 2 Hamish returning from long retrieve through ice.
Picture 3 Hamish with mallard.
Picture 4 Hamish in his "office".
Picture 5 To reassure you his life is not all hard work in cold water.





I'm suspicious of people who don't like dogs, but I trust a dog when it doesn't like a person. - Bill Murray
-
nanalander
- Member
- Posts: 45
- Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 12:04 pm
Re: Trouble with Hamish
Always great to read about Hamish.
Wonderful photos, love Hamish in his office, those super intelligent eyes. That would be one for a frame CC!
Wonderful photos, love Hamish in his office, those super intelligent eyes. That would be one for a frame CC!
-
Debs
- Member
- Posts: 146
- Joined: Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:30 pm
- Dogs: Harry,Scout,Widget & Bobby
- Location: Croydon,Surrey
Re: Trouble with Hamish
Lovely pics CC. He thoroughly deserves his lie down.
-
PRH
- Member
- Posts: 1031
- Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:46 pm
- Dogs: 2 labs and 1 cocker
- Location: Worcestershire
Re: Trouble with Hamish
Great read and cracking pics CC. He looks like a real companion.
Re: Trouble with Hamish
Great pics, CC.
And what a nice flight you had!
Is that a permanent shooting blind? We’d know the birds as Mallard. Is that what you’d call them ?
Naj
Is that a permanent shooting blind? We’d know the birds as Mallard. Is that what you’d call them ?
Naj