Teal whelped 1978 straight forward, very forgiving and easy to train - gave me a life long love of gundogs and shooting (hunting) opened many doors but taught me that the stop and recall is most important. Doesn't matter about the rest if you don't have that because you won't be using any of the other abilities as you probably won't know where your dog is!
Tosh - whelped 1985 very well bred but did not really like him, never got him doing much because he really didn't want to do it, kept trying but eventually gave up. Just because it has a wonderful pedigree doesn't mean it will be any good. I didn't really learn this quite properly see later.
Storm - whelped 1990, big strong dog who as a pup did everything asked but not very flashy or exciting to watch as his litter sister. Grew, when shot over, into the best dog I have handled whether picking up shooting or beating despite lacking style. He taught me that style is an optional extra not a necessity, if you like a young dog give it time as it may develop, that some dogs know more than you that is why we use them and should be left get on with the job out on their own.
Star - whelped 2000 (I think some dogs you prefer to forget ) a beautifully bred daughter of Clarburgh Art - massive behavioural issues, again didn't really like her as a pup but persevered. Wasted months trying to get her to do things she had no intention of doing due to her nervous temperament. Lesson really learnt this time, if you don't like them as a pup you are very unlikely to like them as an adult.
Tug - whelped 2002 given to me at almost 2 years old untouched, I liked the look of him when I first saw him and he obliged by trying to do everything asked when I started training him. Just because a dog isn't 8 weeks old when training starts doesn't mean it cannot become a good gundog.
Smudge whelped 2008 not the best dog at anything but pretty good at everything and tried his best every second of his life. A dog who tries will usually succeed, one who doesn't definitely won't even if it appears to have more ability!!!
Dot - whelped 2016 - not the flashiest of bitches but a natural hunter and retriever with ability. Put to a good dog produced a litter I would have been happy to have any of the pups from. Just because a dog hasn't won anything doesn't mean it is a worse dog that one that has.
So what I have learnt is simply this, temperament is hugely important and a pup who tries will almost certainly be a useful gundog. A great pedigree doesn't mean a pup will try. If I like the pup I will almost certainly like the adult dog but if I am concerned about the pup don't go there however exciting the pedigree!! In a pup natural ability and a desire to do the job will get you a long way.