Where to begin?

Discuss working your Gundog or tell us about your experiences be it sublime or ridiculous!
ips
Member
Posts: 5618
Joined: Sat May 30, 2015 7:34 pm
Dogs: Eze "cocker"
Location: UK

Re: Where to begin?

Post by ips »

Alexgudmunsen wrote: ↑Tue Nov 02, 2021 12:27 pm So I’m meeting a shoot captain (I think that’s the terminology he used) tomorrow who runs a small, casual syndicate shoot that allow the odd novice with a dog to go along and learn about it as you go. I’m meeting him at the grounds, so hopefully the dog doesn’t show me up haha!
Result 👍
Sounds ideal 👍
Muddling along in the hope that one day it starts to make sense.
Alexgudmunsen
Member
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue May 25, 2021 5:11 pm

Re: Where to begin?

Post by Alexgudmunsen »

Well the dog didn’t show me up and all went well, I learnt a fair wack during an hour walk around the grounds and have been invited to join the beating line this season! I can’t make it for a few weeks due to my shifts but will hopefully make it next month and can’t wait!
ips
Member
Posts: 5618
Joined: Sat May 30, 2015 7:34 pm
Dogs: Eze "cocker"
Location: UK

Re: Where to begin?

Post by ips »

Alexgudmunsen wrote: ↑Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:55 pm Well the dog didn’t show me up and all went well, I learnt a fair wack during an hour walk around the grounds and have been invited to join the beating line this season! I can’t make it for a few weeks due to my shifts but will hopefully make it next month and can’t wait!
Brilliant 👍

Look forward to a full report 👍

Incidentally do you know how big of a shoot it is as in bag number per day ??
Muddling along in the hope that one day it starts to make sense.
Alexgudmunsen
Member
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue May 25, 2021 5:11 pm

Re: Where to begin?

Post by Alexgudmunsen »

ips wrote: ↑Thu Nov 04, 2021 8:37 am
Alexgudmunsen wrote: ↑Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:55 pm Well the dog didn’t show me up and all went well, I learnt a fair wack during an hour walk around the grounds and have been invited to join the beating line this season! I can’t make it for a few weeks due to my shifts but will hopefully make it next month and can’t wait!
Brilliant 👍

Look forward to a full report 👍

Incidentally do you know how big of a shoot it is as in bag number per day ??
I believe it averages around 50/60, sometimes more and sometimes less dependant on what time in the season. Reckon that sounds about right?
PRH
Member
Posts: 1031
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:46 pm
Dogs: 2 labs and 1 cocker
Location: Worcestershire

Re: Where to begin?

Post by PRH »

That sounds ideal. Looking forward to hearing how you get on.
ips
Member
Posts: 5618
Joined: Sat May 30, 2015 7:34 pm
Dogs: Eze "cocker"
Location: UK

Re: Where to begin?

Post by ips »

Yep that sounds just the job 👍, enough birds to get stuck into but not that many to blow the dogs mind....should be a good day for you 👍
Muddling along in the hope that one day it starts to make sense.
Alexgudmunsen
Member
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue May 25, 2021 5:11 pm

Re: Where to begin?

Post by Alexgudmunsen »

Had a bit of a nightmare these last few weeks, whilst I was cleaning the dog I noticed that he only seemed to have one testicle (even though he definitely used to have to). Took him to the vet, they thought tumor in the other testicle so had to have him castrated and balls sent to a lab. Luckily no tumor and it turns out that he is such a lunatic he damaged his testicle badly enough that it just shrivelled up and died! (Vet said she’d never seen a dog do that and not show any pain in her 25 years, so he’s either bomb proof or stupid as hell)

So I still haven’t managed to get him beating, however, this Saturday is the day and it’s safe to say I’m pretty nervous. If I was a religious man I would be praying to any god I had that it goes well, but I’ll update you afterwards as to how it all goes!
ips
Member
Posts: 5618
Joined: Sat May 30, 2015 7:34 pm
Dogs: Eze "cocker"
Location: UK

Re: Where to begin?

Post by ips »

Good luck for Saturday, how big a day is it ???
Muddling along in the hope that one day it starts to make sense.
Debs
Member
Posts: 146
Joined: Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:30 pm
Dogs: Harry,Scout,Widget & Bobby
Location: Croydon,Surrey

Re: Where to begin?

Post by Debs »

Ouch!!
Good luck Saturday.
Alexgudmunsen
Member
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue May 25, 2021 5:11 pm

Re: Where to begin?

Post by Alexgudmunsen »

Thanks guys, I believe last week was about a 50 bird day.

On another note, is there anything in particular I’m forgetting to take? Other than appropriate clothing, dog, whistle, lead, towel jacket for the dog, pop out bowl and some water do I need anything else that’s glaringly obvious?
Post Reply