The stop whistle

Discuss any aspect of training you have, ask questions, share tips and advice for any breed of gundog.
Kibble
Member
Posts: 296
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:22 pm

Re: The stop whistle

Post by Kibble »

Thank you. Experience is everything. Ufortunately I now have a confused young dog. However, she is still enthusiastic so perhaps there is hope.
Last week I was walking my dog, Mia, along a bridle way. She was on a double length lead, to get past the sheep, and busily sniffing back and forth across the path. I hope this looks a bit like quartering. I don't think she's interested in sheep, but don't want to upset anyone.
The farmer was stood looking along the track. There was a lot of noise from the shed. I believe they were shearing and I thought perhaps I was in the way. However, the farmer waved me on. When we drew close he said I had an enthusiastic dog. By now Mia was giving it the full body wag. I was torn between relieved that the farmer was friendly and embarrassed that Mia wasn't sat in proper patient dog fashion. I hadn't told her to sit, because she was too busy wagging. I had a lot of problems with this 'greeting behaviour' when she was little and it's not quite sorted.
The farmer asked if it was OK, and then demonstrated 'sit'. Mia sat. There was something about the gentle, but firm way he held and stroked her chin. She moved a bit, but he just adjusted his hand and she thought better of it. I guess he had a lifetime experience of working dogs and Mia wasn't going to argue. When it was time to go he told Mia, 'that'll do'. I must'nt forget a release cue.
It was lovely to see. No lead yanking or harsh tone of voice, just the confidence of experience.
This track is a bit challenging for Mia as it is very scented, but if we get far enough we can leave sheep behind and have miles of moor. That's my aim.
Judy
Co-Admin
Posts: 16742
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:33 pm
Location: Kent

Re: The stop whistle

Post by Judy »

You will find that a dog is more inclined to 'behave' when a stranger is handling it, that's why trainers always look so good when they take your dog off you and demo heelwork or whatever else to you. I don't think it's anything magical it's just the dog being unsure of what's going on.
In life, it is important to know when to stop arguing with people and simply let them be wrong.
Kibble
Member
Posts: 296
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:22 pm

Re: The stop whistle

Post by Kibble »

Thanks Judy. That is a really helpful bit of insight. People who train dogs are one thing, people who train people to train their own dogs are something else.
Judy
Co-Admin
Posts: 16742
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:33 pm
Location: Kent

Re: The stop whistle

Post by Judy »

Kibble wrote: ↑Sun Jun 11, 2023 8:46 pm Thanks Judy. That is a really helpful bit of insight. People who train dogs are one thing, people who train people to train their own dogs are something else.
Judging by the attitude my dogs have at the moment I don't do either of the above. :08: :16:
In life, it is important to know when to stop arguing with people and simply let them be wrong.
Fullers1845
Member
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2022 9:42 am

Re: The stop whistle

Post by Fullers1845 »

Kibble wrote: ↑Wed Jun 07, 2023 6:04 pm The first time my young WCS stopped to a whistle at a good distance from me, I was amazed, and delighted. :-D :-D She is now getting quite good at this, as long as she is in a boring environment. However, the difference between stopping when there is nothing exciting going on and stopping when there might be a pheseant or something else to flush seems insurmountable at present. One sniff and she changes.
I have been walking her, on a lead, along a track, where I know there are pheseants. My idea was to make pheseants as 'normal' as woodpigeon. It's not working so far. :think: :think:
I have this going on with rabbits locally, there seems to be a population explosion and earlier this year our cocker had a couple of full on chasing incidents that got her hot on rabbits.
Luckily she is quite soft and easy to dissuade from doing so, that combined with the sheer number of the poxy things means she is paying much attention to them when they are bimbling about in the open, and if I am quick I can stop her if she makes off towards them. If I miss my chance, once she is up and galloping then it's a one-way trip to the brambles.
Kibble
Member
Posts: 296
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:22 pm

Re: The stop whistle

Post by Kibble »

At least the hot weather is good for stop / sit / steady training- for me as well as the dog. 😁
I was taken unaware by the spring rabbit glut last year. Mostly the pup finding discarded rabbit bits that had been left, rather than chasing. I made the mistake of trying to get her to give these carrion treasures to me 😝 until the 'say 'leave it' and move purposefully on, 'advice from here made the difference, mostly!
I was just congratulating myself on the fact that Mia had sat nicely to watch the pigeons, when she decided now was the time to pick up something feathery and 🤢 that she had walked past for several days.
One step forward.....
Post Reply