Keeping focus on me when on walk

Discuss any aspect of training you have, ask questions, share tips and advice for any breed of gundog.
Post Reply
Egaraust
New Member
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri May 26, 2023 6:35 pm

Keeping focus on me when on walk

Post by Egaraust »

How do I help my dog keep his focus on me rather than him being more interested in everything around him
PRH
Member
Posts: 1031
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:46 pm
Dogs: 2 labs and 1 cocker
Location: Worcestershire

Re: Keeping focus on me when on walk

Post by PRH »

Without being flippant, you need to be more interesting than everything around him. Whether you carry food, a ball, a dummy or all three.....if he associates (it will take time) you with fun / reward he will naturally drop in next to you. You've not said what the context is - are you actively training him and he drifts off, are you out walking him, are you sat in a pub garden. Context is helpful.
Nickheref
Member
Posts: 1923
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:09 pm

Re: Keeping focus on me when on walk

Post by Nickheref »

Yes, I think a bit more information is needed, mine would appear to an observer to be much more interested in what is around them than me, but if I speak to them they respond or if I stop moving after a very short time they come back to see why I have stopped. It has been described as the invisible thread that links dogs to their handlers, they always know where I am and are listening and responsive but are able to get on and do other things that interest them. That is different to dogs who are just not listening nor have an interest in their handler.
Personally I do not like dogs who are constantly checking in so much that they cannot do anything else as in my view they are seeking reassurance that it is ok to do something else, to me that is a sign that the dog is lacking self confidence.
PRH
Member
Posts: 1031
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:46 pm
Dogs: 2 labs and 1 cocker
Location: Worcestershire

Re: Keeping focus on me when on walk

Post by PRH »

I've got a lab who rarely leaves my side when we are out walking. As a pup we nicknamed her Dobby after the house elf in Harry Potter, just quite an insecure animal. Bless her, she'll run through a wall for me if out shooting or just working with dummies, but her happy space is next to me whether sitting around at home or out on a walk. Her son however....
Nickheref
Member
Posts: 1923
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:09 pm

Re: Keeping focus on me when on walk

Post by Nickheref »

Yes and I have to admit I had forgotten it was a lab, whereas I was really talking about spaniels etc.
Naj
Member
Posts: 7420
Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:47 am

Re: Keeping focus on me when on walk

Post by Naj »

Checking in can simply be the product of good training. My Viz checks in regularly on walks because that’s what I’ve encouraged her to do. When hunting she knows to get out into the country. Context is everything.
Judy
Co-Admin
Posts: 16742
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:33 pm
Location: Kent

Re: Keeping focus on me when on walk

Post by Judy »

Nickheref wrote: ↑Fri Jul 14, 2023 12:24 pm Yes and I have to admit I had forgotten it was a lab, whereas I was really talking about spaniels etc.
No difference when "out for a walk". Like your Spanners mine pay me scant attention until I stop or change direction, the Flatcoats were the same. I do vary the walks though and suddenly decide to go off in a different direction leaving them to wonder where I've suddenly gone.

If lack of focus is in "training" rather than "walking" then the OP needs to get himself to a trainer for advice and ideas for varying the training to keep the dog's interest and attention. Dogs can quickly lose interest if the training is boring and repetitive or if it's too far advanced for them and they don't understand what you want or even if you are getting frustrated with them...
In life, it is important to know when to stop arguing with people and simply let them be wrong.
Naj
Member
Posts: 7420
Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:47 am

Re: Keeping focus on me when on walk

Post by Naj »

I’m guessing that if the op has a lack of focus in training then they also have a lack of focus when on a walk. The two generally go hand in hand because novice owners don’t realise that whenever they are with their dog they’re effectively training, and if they’re not training the dog then the dog is training them. One of the biggest failings is to think in terms of ‘training’ as being a separate entity in itself, rather than a daily work in progress.
Judy
Co-Admin
Posts: 16742
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:33 pm
Location: Kent

Re: Keeping focus on me when on walk

Post by Judy »

Naj wrote: ↑Sat Jul 15, 2023 10:08 am I’m guessing that if the op has a lack of focus in training then they also have a lack of focus when on a walk. The two generally go hand in hand because novice owners don’t realise that whenever they are with their dog they’re effectively training, and if they’re not training the dog then the dog is training them. One of the biggest failings is to think in terms of ‘training’ as being a separate entity in itself, rather than a daily work in progress.
I am unconvinced, if I take balls or dummies out on a walk I get irritated with the amount of focus on me, if just out on a walk I may get irritated, occasionally, on the lack of focus on me. :brickwall: :lol:
In life, it is important to know when to stop arguing with people and simply let them be wrong.
Cass
Member
Posts: 1681
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:52 pm
Dogs: Lily (Dachshund) & Jake (Cocker)
Location: ON, Canada

Re: Keeping focus on me when on walk

Post by Cass »

Unless you're hunting for yourself, the dog should be more focused on its surroundings than you. That's not to say it blows you off when you give it a command or hit the whistle..... but until then it should be doing its thing and seeking game.
"If you train a young dog for momentum, precision will arrive. If you train for precision, demanding perfection, momentum will depart." - Rex Carr
Post Reply