Confusion memory/blind retrieves

Discuss any aspect of training you have, ask questions, share tips and advice for any breed of gundog.
Egaraust
New Member
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri May 26, 2023 6:35 pm

Confusion memory/blind retrieves

Post by Egaraust »

I’m struggling with training the memory and blind retrieves.. . At the moment I either sit dog down throw dummy then send him on his name or I heel him away place the dummy then heel back to starting position and say his name then go back. But from this point I’m stuck, I don’t know where to go from here in terms of development for retrieving.
PRH
Member
Posts: 1031
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:46 pm
Dogs: 2 labs and 1 cocker
Location: Worcestershire

Re: Confusion memory/blind retrieves

Post by PRH »

Is the dog steady to the throw and does it go straight out, pick the dummy and deliver it to hand every time? Does it take the line on a blind?
Nickheref
Member
Posts: 1923
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:09 pm

Re: Confusion memory/blind retrieves

Post by Nickheref »

It rather depends on the dog, some are able to remember where a dummy fell for some considerable time others forget 30 seconds later! I often put out a dummy, walk the dog away at heel as you describe and then lengthen the distance walked and the waiting time before I send it, if you know the dog you can see if it is actually waiting to be sent or if it has forgotten about it. I tend to find the better dogs just morph straight into taking a line on blind retrieves when they haven't seen anything thrown after a few long memory retrieves. The most important thing I think is that the dog succeeds without help on the first few blind retrieves so it believes in you when you tell it there is something out there. So do not make them very difficult early on, later the dog will have the self belief to keep hunting for the dummy even if it doesn't find it straight away. The dogs that forget it is there after 30 seconds or having moved 20 yards are much more of a problem but I tend to think that is because they are not keen retrievers to start with so don't really care if they find it or not, with them you have to make the retrieve a lot more interesting which may mean cold birds but you are onto a bit of a loser anyway.
munstyman
Member
Posts: 1589
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2015 3:17 pm

Re: Confusion memory/blind retrieves

Post by munstyman »

Hmmm, that's new! post on two threads, one with direct link and I'm guessing we have to wait for this one..... JUUUUDY :lol:
Judy
Co-Admin
Posts: 16742
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:33 pm
Location: Kent

Re: Confusion memory/blind retrieves

Post by Judy »

munstyman wrote: ↑Sat Aug 12, 2023 9:08 am Hmmm, that's new! post on two threads, one with direct link and I'm guessing we have to wait for this one..... JUUUUDY :lol:
Keep up man! One post got no replies so a second post with slightly different wording, same question, same member. I locked one and posted a link to the other one. All sorted ages ago.

Now, ya missed the one with the link to swimming pools... Epic fail.
In life, it is important to know when to stop arguing with people and simply let them be wrong.
munstyman
Member
Posts: 1589
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2015 3:17 pm

Re: Confusion memory/blind retrieves

Post by munstyman »

Get with the beat baggy there's another one, we're under cyber attack :lol: :lol: AI doesn't like push back it's now giving out subtle threats about `next life'. :think: :lol: Don't think that the `dead leg' was an accident .... Those damn Cockers are turn coats :whistle: :lol: :lol:
Judy
Co-Admin
Posts: 16742
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:33 pm
Location: Kent

Re: Confusion memory/blind retrieves

Post by Judy »

Yeah, done that, not on here all day, contrary to popular opinion. Stop prevaricating, yer know yer wus wrong yesterday, admit it!
In life, it is important to know when to stop arguing with people and simply let them be wrong.
munstyman
Member
Posts: 1589
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2015 3:17 pm

Re: Confusion memory/blind retrieves

Post by munstyman »

How can I be wrong? :? If they don't show up in the feed ( active topics ) When I'm not logged in, I can't read them to give you a poke :lol:
Judy
Co-Admin
Posts: 16742
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:33 pm
Location: Kent

Re: Confusion memory/blind retrieves

Post by Judy »

munstyman wrote: ↑Sun Aug 13, 2023 10:13 pm How can I be wrong? :? If they don't show up in the feed ( active topics ) When I'm not logged in, I can't read them to give you a poke :lol:
It's all still there and visible without logging in - I rest my case.
In life, it is important to know when to stop arguing with people and simply let them be wrong.
munstyman
Member
Posts: 1589
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2015 3:17 pm

Re: Confusion memory/blind retrieves

Post by munstyman »

The only threads that are currently showing in my `active topics' are:
CS
Ginger
Butterflies
and this one

If the scammy posts appear in active topics I generally see them if they are on an already established thread. so if they are not appearing you've either got to them first or the're not deemed active. :think: You forget I'm merely a man. I know you wummin expect us to know the impossible :doh: but I can only see what 's on my screen you old bat. No case to answer m'lud :dance:
Post Reply