It's all about the training!

Discuss any aspect of training you have, ask questions, share tips and advice for any breed of gundog.
Kibble
Member
Posts: 296
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:22 pm

Re: It's all about the training!

Post by Kibble »

Thanks both. I really did enjoy the day and I now get what all the excitement is about. I am confident that the little b** will find me if she escapes. So it's good advice to stay quiet and not make a fuss!
I am taking it slowly, but it would be great to have her hunt properly.
Naj
Member
Posts: 7419
Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:47 am

Re: It's all about the training!

Post by Naj »

Well done, Kibble. :clap: The first step always feels the hardest but it will get easier as you learn the ropes. And remember, it’s meant to be fun! :lol:
Kibble
Member
Posts: 296
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:22 pm

Re: It's all about the training!

Post by Kibble »

Thank you Naj. It was fun. I am encouraged by the fact that when the guns were close, Mia just stopped still and looked up at the birds. There was of more waiting in one place for her, compared with what she is used to. She was mostly quiet, and if she started whimpering a bit, I just walked her about so she got her nose down and quietened.
Springfield Pointers
Member
Posts: 4588
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:27 am

Re: It's all about the training!

Post by Springfield Pointers »

Dare I say it... birds train bird dogs.
ips
Member
Posts: 5618
Joined: Sat May 30, 2015 7:34 pm
Dogs: Eze "cocker"
Location: UK

Re: It's all about the training!

Post by ips »

Springfield Pointers wrote: ↑Tue Nov 19, 2024 7:17 pm Dare I say it... birds train bird dogs.
👍😁
Muddling along in the hope that one day it starts to make sense.
Judy
Co-Admin
Posts: 16742
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:33 pm
Location: Kent

Re: It's all about the training!

Post by Judy »

Springfield Pointers wrote: ↑Tue Nov 19, 2024 7:17 pm Dare I say it... birds train bird dogs.
Certainly trained my little **** - she went across the valley and into the wood opposite for a runner, for a two year old on only her 13th day out it looked very impressive.

I just wish I'd sent her... :brickwall:
In life, it is important to know when to stop arguing with people and simply let them be wrong.
Springfield Pointers
Member
Posts: 4588
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:27 am

Re: It's all about the training!

Post by Springfield Pointers »

Anticipation is as valuable as hindsight. :)

Hope you're well.
Judy
Co-Admin
Posts: 16742
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:33 pm
Location: Kent

Re: It's all about the training!

Post by Judy »

Springfield Pointers wrote: ↑Fri Nov 29, 2024 7:36 pm Anticipation is as valuable as hindsight. :)

Hope you're well.
I did anticipate her stopping on the whistle, I was wrong there too. :lol: In hindsight I reckon she was the only one of my current dogs who could have pulled that off with such aplomb. :pray:

Yes thank you, although pretty shattered after two '7 drive' days picking up this week then shifting lumps of tree out of a reed bed today - too old for this sort of thing! :lol:
In life, it is important to know when to stop arguing with people and simply let them be wrong.
Springfield Pointers
Member
Posts: 4588
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:27 am

Re: It's all about the training!

Post by Springfield Pointers »

Judy wrote: ↑Sun Dec 01, 2024 4:48 pm
Springfield Pointers wrote: ↑Fri Nov 29, 2024 7:36 pm Anticipation is as valuable as hindsight. :)

Hope you're well.
I did anticipate her stopping on the whistle, I was wrong there too. :lol: In hindsight I reckon she was the only one of my current dogs who could have pulled that off with such aplomb. :pray:

Yes thank you, although pretty shattered after two '7 drive' days picking up this week then shifting lumps of tree out of a reed bed today - too old for this sort of thing! :lol:
The naughtiest ones are always the best ones... ;)
Judy
Co-Admin
Posts: 16742
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:33 pm
Location: Kent

Re: It's all about the training!

Post by Judy »

Absolutely, SP, she is proving to be one of those dogs which are born experienced and, seemingly, just knowing what to do (most of the time!😂).
In life, it is important to know when to stop arguing with people and simply let them be wrong.
Post Reply