best canned wet food

Any health / feeding questions - remember this is no substitute for the Vet!
Forum rules
There is no substitute to visiting your Vet - he has the knowledge and experience and can see/feel/smell your dog and advise accordingly. Please apply your own judgement and common sense to any advice given. What works for one dog might not work for another. If you are in any doubt please visit your Vet! General Forum Rules
bird
Member
Posts: 363
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:55 pm

Re: best canned wet food

Post by bird »

I mix a bit of Wainwright's with kibble to make it interesting. My labs always been a bit picky when it was kibble only. I get a mixed box so the variety changes every few days. He should be on about 2.5 trays a day (apparently). He gets about a third of a tray with both daily meals and the spaniel gets a little bit too as I feel mean if I leave him out :)
ips
Member
Posts: 5618
Joined: Sat May 30, 2015 7:34 pm
Dogs: Eze "cocker"
Location: UK

Re: best canned wet food

Post by ips »

Miesque wrote:
ips wrote:This nature one looks ok its quite firm but no meaty chunks, looks better than the Wainwright one though that looks like babyfood. Mixed it with James welbeloved dry she seemed to enjoy it. She has never really seemed to enjoy any kibble but we have yet to find suitable wet so here's hoping.
The meaty chunks in the vast majority are in fact textured vegetable protein!
Really ??
I didn't know that.
Muddling along in the hope that one day it starts to make sense.
Miesque
Member
Posts: 1140
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:35 pm
Dogs: Many spaniels
Location: Ireland

Re: best canned wet food

Post by Miesque »

ips wrote:
Miesque wrote:
ips wrote:This nature one looks ok its quite firm but no meaty chunks, looks better than the Wainwright one though that looks like babyfood. Mixed it with James welbeloved dry she seemed to enjoy it. She has never really seemed to enjoy any kibble but we have yet to find suitable wet so here's hoping.
The meaty chunks in the vast majority are in fact textured vegetable protein!
Really ??
I didn't know that.
Yup, neither did I until I did a nutrition course!
bollibop
Member
Posts: 269
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:58 pm

Re: best canned wet food

Post by bollibop »

hi

I use natures menu - comes in a pouch - easy to use - various flavours.

Use to make a meaty gravy add kibble - hey presto - dinner served :-D :-D

ruth


xx
jamesrobert12
Just Arrived
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2026 12:47 pm

Re: best canned wet food

Post by jamesrobert12 »

Finding the Top 10 Best Wet Dog Food UK options can help improve your dog’s health, hydration, and overall nutrition. Wet dog food is rich in protein, easy to digest, and often more palatable for picky eaters, puppies, and senior dogs. Many high-quality UK brands include real meat, essential vitamins, and minerals that support strong muscles, healthy skin, and better digestion. When choosing wet dog food, always check the ingredient list, avoid artificial additives, and select a formula suitable for your dog’s age and dietary needs. Exploring the Top 10 Best Wet Dog Food UK can help pet owners make a smarter choice for their dog’s balanced diet and long-term wellbeing.
Cornishbird
Member
Posts: 41
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2022 6:52 pm

Re: best canned wet food

Post by Cornishbird »

ips wrote: ↑Tue Aug 09, 2016 1:41 pm I am sure I have asked before but I cant find it plus it was a while ago so an up to date wont do any harm.
Three questions......

As the title what tinned dog food is considered to be the best quality. ?

Is pedigree as bad as I am lead to believe. ?

What would be the recommend protien level for medium - active cocker. ?

This website https://www.allaboutdogfood.co.uk/ is pretty good with rating dog foods that are available to buy 🤗 You can search for brands etc, obviously they don’t list every brand but it’s pretty good.
Judy
Co-Admin
Posts: 16742
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:33 pm
Location: Kent

Re: best canned wet food

Post by Judy »

Moderator here. Just pointing out we don't allow newbies to post links otherwise we'd be inundated with people joining just to advertise their wares. I have removed a link from "JamesRobert 12's post as he's a new member but left in Cornishbird's link as she's been around a while.
In life, it is important to know when to stop arguing with people and simply let them be wrong.
GloriaH
Just Arrived
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2026 6:11 pm

Re: best canned wet food

Post by GloriaH »

Had a cocker for eleven years and tried every tin going. Best is whatever names a real meat first, not "derivatives," because that label tells you more than the brand does. Pedigree is not poison but it is heavy on cereal and filler, and my boy perked up the moment I switched him to something with muscle meat up top and no sugar. For a medium active cocker aim around 22 to 25 percent protein on a dry matter basis, adjust with age and how much he runs. What really clicked for me was reading about,where grinding consistency and cooking temperature decide how much nutrition survives the can, which explains why two tins with the same numbers fed so differently. Watch his coat and energy, he will tell you faster than any forum will.
Rascal
Co-Admin
Posts: 10211
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:22 pm
Location: Lincolnshire

Re: best canned wet food

Post by Rascal »

Hi Gloria I’ve removed the link from your post, please read the forum rules regarding links.

Rascal
General Dogsbody
Post Reply