Page 2 of 2

Re: Ticks

Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 4:35 pm
by Naj
Recently found a vole the cat had killed with three gorged ticks on it. We never used to have ticks until recently.

Re: Ticks

Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:25 pm
by CockerCanuck
Naj wrote: ↑Sun Aug 14, 2022 4:35 pm Recently found a vole the cat had killed with three gorged ticks on it. We never used to have ticks until recently.
A scientist could tell us but my experience is that they must be cyclical. I remember them well when I was a small boy in the late '50's and 60's. My mother would check me for them after playing outside and I hated having them pulled off. However through the '70's and 80's I hardly ever saw one. They seemed to come back with a vengeance around 2000 but the last couple of years here they have not been too bad.

Re: Ticks

Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:29 am
by Nickheref
Just an observation on Bravecto, I did mine in April and got a message saying they needed another tablet in late June. I didn't for a host of reasons but have only seen two ticks on 4 dogs in July/beginning of August and both died without feeding, so it looks as if it lasts a lot longer than claimed.

Re: Ticks

Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:08 am
by munstyman
I always have a `spare' tablet in the vet cupboard, same with worming, but only treat the dogs when I think it is necessary. After all being a cynic is the pharmaceutical companies really looking after the well being of my dog or their bottom line? A few years ago there were lots around here, it wasn't uncommon to find four every day crawling across the dog. This year I've found two in total, one just settling in on the dogs eyelid and one leaving the dog ( treated ) and crawling on me.
April/May tend to indicate what sort of year it is likely to be for ticks down here, so I plan accordingly> Dog was treated in April but probably won't need another tablet this year on my observation, but I never say never :lol:
Seen a lot more spiders this year, not sure if its a natural phenomenon or the cobwebs indicating a lack of house work :think: :whistle: :lol: :lol:
Dog has also moulted continuously this summer. My neighbour has one of those automated vacuum cleaners that does the cleaning at night. I thought about it but it probably would not last the week with the amount of hair that is currently coming off the dog, let alone being stalked by the dog as it rumbles around :doh: :lol: :lol:

Re: Ticks

Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:05 am
by Nickheref
munstyman wrote: ↑Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:08 am After all being a cynic is the pharmaceutical companies really looking after the well being of my dog or their bottom line?
That was my thought as well :lol: :lol: :lol: