Page 64 of 66
Re: It's all about the training!
Posted: Tue Nov 12, 2024 7:02 pm
by Kibble
Thanks both. I really did enjoy the day and I now get what all the excitement is about. I am confident that the little b** will find me if she escapes. So it's good advice to stay quiet and not make a fuss!
I am taking it slowly, but it would be great to have her hunt properly.
Re: It's all about the training!
Posted: Tue Nov 12, 2024 7:39 pm
by Naj
Well done, Kibble.

The first step always feels the hardest but it will get easier as you learn the ropes. And remember, itβs meant to be fun!

Re: It's all about the training!
Posted: Wed Nov 13, 2024 9:21 am
by Kibble
Thank you Naj. It was fun. I am encouraged by the fact that when the guns were close, Mia just stopped still and looked up at the birds. There was of more waiting in one place for her, compared with what she is used to. She was mostly quiet, and if she started whimpering a bit, I just walked her about so she got her nose down and quietened.
Re: It's all about the training!
Posted: Tue Nov 19, 2024 7:17 pm
by Springfield Pointers
Dare I say it... birds train bird dogs.
Re: It's all about the training!
Posted: Tue Nov 19, 2024 9:53 pm
by ips
Re: It's all about the training!
Posted: Wed Nov 20, 2024 11:21 pm
by Judy
Certainly trained my little **** - she went across the valley and into the wood opposite for a runner, for a two year old on only her 13th day out it looked very impressive.
I just wish I'd sent her...

Re: It's all about the training!
Posted: Fri Nov 29, 2024 7:36 pm
by Springfield Pointers
Anticipation is as valuable as hindsight.
Hope you're well.
Re: It's all about the training!
Posted: Sun Dec 01, 2024 4:48 pm
by Judy
Springfield Pointers wrote: βFri Nov 29, 2024 7:36 pm
Anticipation is as valuable as hindsight.
Hope you're well.
I did anticipate her stopping on the whistle, I was wrong there too.

In hindsight I reckon she was the only one of my current dogs who could have pulled that off with such aplomb.
Yes thank you, although pretty shattered after two '7 drive' days picking up this week then shifting lumps of tree out of a reed bed today - too old for this sort of thing!

Re: It's all about the training!
Posted: Mon Dec 02, 2024 7:25 pm
by Springfield Pointers
Judy wrote: βSun Dec 01, 2024 4:48 pm
Springfield Pointers wrote: βFri Nov 29, 2024 7:36 pm
Anticipation is as valuable as hindsight.
Hope you're well.
I did anticipate her stopping on the whistle, I was wrong there too.

In hindsight I reckon she was the only one of my current dogs who could have pulled that off with such aplomb.
Yes thank you, although pretty shattered after two '7 drive' days picking up this week then shifting lumps of tree out of a reed bed today - too old for this sort of thing!
The naughtiest ones are always the best ones...

Re: It's all about the training!
Posted: Sat Dec 07, 2024 10:42 am
by Judy
Absolutely, SP, she is proving to be one of those dogs which are born experienced and, seemingly, just knowing what to do (most of the time!

).