Umbilical Hernia
Posted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:32 pm
Hello! Looking for some help and advise..
I have had a super morning picking a 7 week old Labrador pup. The litter is fairly well bred and I have seen both parents in the field and like they way they work and look. Of the available bitch pups, one stood out immediately, she was forward, playful, inquisitive but most of all she wouldn't leave me, knocking other pups out of the way to get back under my hand (its hard to over look a pup like that!). After a cursory inspection of the other pups, I had really already had my decision made for me. I spent a joyful half an hour playing with her and giving her a good look over. It was at this point I was told she had a suspected umbilical hernia. I had another closer look at her stomach and although small, there was definitely something there. It appeared just over a week ago is soft and is about the size of a dried pea. It pops out after she has eaten and the breeder just pops it back in, which is why I hadn't notice it.. honest! The dam has thrown no other pups with hernias and as far as we are aware, neither has the sire. The breeder then got the other pups out and let me pick a 'back-up' who is lovely, but about whom I am slightly less enthusiastic. They agreed to take the original pup to the vet tonight to check it out as they intend to take the whole litter next week before they are picked up anyway.
When I told my OH about my day he vetoed the 'hernia' pup as we want the option of breeding from her if she reaches her potential.
The vet has confirmed that it is definitely an umbilical hernia but is vague as to whether it is hereditary or as a result of the dam chewing out the cord a little enthusiastically, she will also not advise as to whether it will cause any problems with whelping, but is clear that it will create no intestinal problems. The breeder has offered to pay for any operation.
I have very little experience of hernias and will talk to my vet (who is the same as the breeders) but I am looking for some practical opinions from working dog owners who have experienced this.
In your opinion, does this sound like a hereditary hernia? Does it sound like something that will self heal? Should we operate? If so, when? Is there any other issues I need to consider? Should I suck it up and get the other pup? How do I persuade the OH???
I have had a super morning picking a 7 week old Labrador pup. The litter is fairly well bred and I have seen both parents in the field and like they way they work and look. Of the available bitch pups, one stood out immediately, she was forward, playful, inquisitive but most of all she wouldn't leave me, knocking other pups out of the way to get back under my hand (its hard to over look a pup like that!). After a cursory inspection of the other pups, I had really already had my decision made for me. I spent a joyful half an hour playing with her and giving her a good look over. It was at this point I was told she had a suspected umbilical hernia. I had another closer look at her stomach and although small, there was definitely something there. It appeared just over a week ago is soft and is about the size of a dried pea. It pops out after she has eaten and the breeder just pops it back in, which is why I hadn't notice it.. honest! The dam has thrown no other pups with hernias and as far as we are aware, neither has the sire. The breeder then got the other pups out and let me pick a 'back-up' who is lovely, but about whom I am slightly less enthusiastic. They agreed to take the original pup to the vet tonight to check it out as they intend to take the whole litter next week before they are picked up anyway.
When I told my OH about my day he vetoed the 'hernia' pup as we want the option of breeding from her if she reaches her potential.
The vet has confirmed that it is definitely an umbilical hernia but is vague as to whether it is hereditary or as a result of the dam chewing out the cord a little enthusiastically, she will also not advise as to whether it will cause any problems with whelping, but is clear that it will create no intestinal problems. The breeder has offered to pay for any operation.
I have very little experience of hernias and will talk to my vet (who is the same as the breeders) but I am looking for some practical opinions from working dog owners who have experienced this.
In your opinion, does this sound like a hereditary hernia? Does it sound like something that will self heal? Should we operate? If so, when? Is there any other issues I need to consider? Should I suck it up and get the other pup? How do I persuade the OH???