Ghillie's Report Card

Discuss any aspect of training you have, ask questions, share tips and advice for any breed of gundog.
Post Reply
trekmoor
Member
Posts: 16074
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:38 am
Dogs: Too many and not enough !
Location: Central Scotland

Ghillie's Report Card

Post by trekmoor »

When I was a schoolboy many moons ago we used to get a report card on our progress or the lack of it and on our general behaviour in class. A common remark by teachers was ," could do better." One p*ssed off teacher of mine wrote upon my report card , " Works well when cornered like a rat !" :lol: Imagine taking that home nowadays to show to your parents ! :lol:

I got marks for my woodwork exam once ..... I got two out of 100 ! The teacher said he'd given me the two marks because I'd made a good job of sharpening my pencil ! :lol: How times have changed, the poor teachers are frightened to say, "Boo !" to the kids now.

Anyway, I got my lab pup a few hours ago and this is the start of her report card. I will try to keep it up to date but probably not every day. We have called her "Ghillie" and she is what labs should be , she is black. Nane o' this new fangled , yellow, gold, chocolate or fox red nonsense ! Labs are black , so there ! :snooty:

She is not quite 8 weeks old and I.M.O. is a good looking pup .....not fat and not thin. I hope to keep her that way ..... I don't like rolling in fat puppies. She's been vet checked for easily observable faults but I still gave her a quick once over within two minutes of seeing her. I found nothing wrong at all.

I at once liked her temperament. She is a pretty confident sort of puppy with strange people and with strange dogs .....as long as the dogs are friendly. More about that later. She is keen on puppy type retrieves on objects both large and small. I bought her a rope chew toy and she has already retrieved that straight back to hand over about 15 feet of my living room floor. Just to prove to us this was no chance occurrence she did the same when my grandson threw it for her.
At present I am praising her for this and giving her the toy straight back again.

She yodelled her head off for about the first 8 miles of our journey home but then slept through the rest of the journey. She was not car sick, she just objected to being shut in a cage without anyone petting her.
She also yaps if she wants to play with us or with one of my other dogs....... I am not tolerating that . It is the only thing she has been ticked off for doing so far. She has widdled three times in the house so far but nothing else has been "forthcoming" ........ so far ! I will probably cage her tonight and then sleep on the settee nearby ready for an early morning sprint into the garden with her.

She was released into the garden as soon as we arrived home and she at once spotted old Billy and Edge out in the run and went straight over to visit them. Billy was fine but Edge took a bounce at the run wires growling as he did so. This made her a bit frightened of Edge when I released him to meet her but she did not perform a submission widdle for him or for Billy or Charlie when they got to meet her. Her tail went down a bit but that was all.

She has been trying to get Billy and Charlie to play with her, so far without success and both dogs have given her a low warning growl when she tried to get into their respective beds alongside them. She at once heeded those warnings and left them alone in the beds. Edge still worries her a bit . Apart from him growling when he first met her I think his colour is unusual to her and therefor a cause for wariness ?
It is Edge I expect to be her main playmate eventually though. He has missed having Libby to play with so I think the pup will fill that gap in his life.

My wife and I both thought her name "Ghillie" would sound almost exactly like my cocker Billy's name but it shouldn't matter too much as old Billy is as deaf as a post anyway and we use hand signals for him.

Wullie
If at first you don't succeed .....find out if there is a booby prize !
-----------------------------------------------------
Don't do what doesn't work - do what does.
.
Col
Member
Posts: 188
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:42 pm
Dogs: Buddy, Ruby
Location: North Yorkshire

Re: Ghillie's Report Card

Post by Col »

I'll be watching this with anticipation.

Our pup did the opposite on its journey home; was relaxed and slept on and off for the first 30 mins then woke up and howled it's head off for the remaining hour and a half!!

Mine too yaps when he wants to play with us or the other dog. How do you plan to combat this? All we do is ignore him, but I can't exactly tell the other dog to do the same!
trekmoor
Member
Posts: 16074
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:38 am
Dogs: Too many and not enough !
Location: Central Scotland

Re: Ghillie's Report Card

Post by trekmoor »

Things are getting hectic around here. She made up a little game for herself of diving into our very large water bowl and then digging all the water out ........the Memsaab is not amused ! She also discovered a low handle on a bit of furniture and made a start to chewing it off. Our one and only house plant , a sort of palm tree thingy, has had a bit of trimming done to it.

Edge and her have begun to play together . Edge is delighted and she is ducking and diving under and around furniture then popping out again to bite him . She makes a lot of noise.....yapping..... while doing this and is being reprimanded for that. Edge is amazingly gentle with her . Not once has he bowled her over or hit her with one of his paw swipes.

Wullie
If at first you don't succeed .....find out if there is a booby prize !
-----------------------------------------------------
Don't do what doesn't work - do what does.
.
trekmoor
Member
Posts: 16074
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:38 am
Dogs: Too many and not enough !
Location: Central Scotland

Re: Ghillie's Report Card

Post by trekmoor »

I had a very sleepless night but not entirely due to Ghillie. I just don't sleep well now anyway. She woke up in her crate just after 2 a.m. and began to howl .....I stopped that at once. I think all she really needed was reassurance that someone was still nearby.
That was just about the full extent of the noise she made last night. She does tend to be a vocal sort of pup. She whines if something displeases her and she yaps if she wants to play and does "play postures" at the same time.

She was totally "clean" while in her cage from about midnight until I let her out about 6.15 a.m. My wife was awoken by the patter of her paws at 6.40 A.M. ........... I was doing retrieves across the wooden floor of the living room ! She is a good little retriever inside the house , straight out and straight back to hand but when I tried her outside about 15 minutes ago she was much more "iffy." I think she was reared inside a house and is not too sure about being outdoors yet.

She has now clambered all over Edge and Charlie while playing but Billy, although he is very gentle with her while he is up and about is not happy about this when he is lying down either asleep or awake so he growls at her but has not yet followed up on a growl. He is about 12 years old and very deaf, playful pups are not his cup of tea anymore.

I put her into the cage while I typed this and I heard rattling noises .....she somehow managed to move the sliding door along and escape. :roll:

Wullie
If at first you don't succeed .....find out if there is a booby prize !
-----------------------------------------------------
Don't do what doesn't work - do what does.
.
Strathcraig
Member
Posts: 1101
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:14 pm
Dogs: Kenzie, Kai, Harry & Chana

Re: Ghillie's Report Card

Post by Strathcraig »

Do you have a KC name yet Wullie?
Craig M

Owned & Handled by "Ladykenz Labradors"
trekmoor
Member
Posts: 16074
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:38 am
Dogs: Too many and not enough !
Location: Central Scotland

Re: Ghillie's Report Card

Post by trekmoor »

Yes but I can't remember what it is apart from it has the word "Apple" in it. It would have made more sense if the word had been "Thorn," her puppy teeth are damned sharp and she likes to use them !

Wullie
If at first you don't succeed .....find out if there is a booby prize !
-----------------------------------------------------
Don't do what doesn't work - do what does.
.
User avatar
Alice
Member
Posts: 2748
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:45 pm
Dogs: Spaniels
Location: Sunny South Wilts

Re: Ghillie's Report Card

Post by Alice »

Looking forward to reading more of her adventures!
cheers,
Alice.

A spaniel is a vehicle for a nose
trekmoor
Member
Posts: 16074
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:38 am
Dogs: Too many and not enough !
Location: Central Scotland

Re: Ghillie's Report Card

Post by trekmoor »

The Soup Dragon did the night shift on the settee last night while I happily snoozed in the bedroom. Ghillie was quiet all night and was totally "clean" until she was let out at 6.45 a.m. . Her worst "faults" are chewing ....anything does , and complaining with a howl if she feels lonely and yapping during play.

She has done 5 or 6 retrieves with various balls tossed in the living room. No problems so far with retrieving.

She has slaughtered poor Edge's ears and throat ruff ......and he lies down to make it easier for her. She has made Charlie yelp ......she bit his marriage tackle !

Wullie
If at first you don't succeed .....find out if there is a booby prize !
-----------------------------------------------------
Don't do what doesn't work - do what does.
.
trekmoor
Member
Posts: 16074
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:38 am
Dogs: Too many and not enough !
Location: Central Scotland

Re: Ghillie's Report Card

Post by trekmoor »

My daughter and S.i.L. have just left after a quick visit .......my daughter claimed she needed some pet therapy. I think she is trying to persuade her husband that they need a dog ! :lol:

He said dogs are difficult to train recalls and sits to .....enter Ghillie ! She recalls very easily provided she isn't being distracted . She demo'd her retrieving with a paint roller too . When the S.i.L. attempted to get her to sit however ,she did not and would not. This was then used as proof that dogs are difficult to train.

I took the paint roller , held it out in front of Ghillie but a bit above her head and said "sit" .....she sat at once as most pups will if this is done correctly. Folk are funny creatures, the S.i.L. didn't even notice the way I'd held the dummy, he thought I'd trained Ghillie to sit to voice in the day or two that I've had her.

We were doing quite well in persuading him that a puppy would be no trouble at all until they rose to go back out the door ...........Ghillie had deposited a pee and a poo right in front of the door. :roll: I think more persuasion will be needed on the poor man.

Wullie
If at first you don't succeed .....find out if there is a booby prize !
-----------------------------------------------------
Don't do what doesn't work - do what does.
.
trekmoor
Member
Posts: 16074
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:38 am
Dogs: Too many and not enough !
Location: Central Scotland

Re: Ghillie's Report Card

Post by trekmoor »

Another night passed by with no noise from Ghillie and no "mess." My good mood was then spoilt by her trip to the vet for the first of her inoculations.......£74 .60 p. ! Nae wunner vets go to the Bahamas for their holidays. That amount of cash for a two minute "examination" and an injection is daylight robbery.

Wullie
If at first you don't succeed .....find out if there is a booby prize !
-----------------------------------------------------
Don't do what doesn't work - do what does.
.
Post Reply