Page 1 of 2

Can my springer pup still work/trial if he has IOHC?

Posted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:29 pm
by katie100
Hello, I'm new to the forum and looking for some info.
Ihave a 6month ESS who has had two bouts of lameness over the last 3month (he is extremely boisterous).
Was just back at the vets there and they informed me that the worst thing it could be is Incomplete Ossification of the Humeral Condyle (IOHC). Obviously I am worried it could be this as I got him to trial/work (first gundog).
So my question is, can I still work him if he has this condition?

Re: Can my springer pup still work/trial if he has IOHC?

Posted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:31 pm
by Stacia
This is an interesting website which you might find helpful https://www.andersonmoores.com/services ... search.php

Re: Can my springer pup still work/trial if he has IOHC?

Posted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:29 am
by Miesque
I think Fitzpatrick's have a good reference article also.

Has your vet suggested further diagnostic imaging? Or were they lucky enough to diagnose via xray? Have the suggested any treatment going forward? Standard practice is to screw the elbows to prevent a catastrophic fracture which is pretty inevitable if left untreated and the dog is active. Once surgically repaired most dogs go on to have full working lives - there is certainly trialling dogs with both elbows screwed out there.

Re: Can my springer pup still work/trial if he has IOHC?

Posted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:36 am
by katie100
Thanks both. X rays are next, hopefully getting them today if they can fit him in, but said that may need a CT scan to truely diagnose if it were to be IOHC. CT will cost about £1200!! I've done a relative amount to of reading on it but nothing says what the dog can do following diagnosis ie working. Good to know that they can go on to work and trial.
Fingers crossed it's not this, but I'm preparing myself for the worst.

Re: Can my springer pup still work/trial if he has IOHC?

Posted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:45 am
by Miesque
The angle for xrays can very difficult to be definitely sure of your diagnosis, so yes CT is next in line. £1200 sounds expensive, shop around - I paid €750 (so about £665) a year or so ago for both elbows to be CTed at a university level referral unit

Re: Can my springer pup still work/trial if he has IOHC?

Posted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:01 am
by sandra
£1200 does sounds expensive for CT, I paid just over £700 last February at a referral centre and because I wasn't insured I skipped the xrays and went straight for CT as Miesque says it's difficult to diagnose with xray and you usually end up having CT as well. Good luck with the outcome

Re: Can my springer pup still work/trial if he has IOHC?

Posted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:30 am
by Stacia
In one of the articles I sent you the link for, it did mention dogs being able to work and also a reduction in fees as they were doing research, though that part might be out of date,

My Lab broke his elbow when 16 weeks old and had it screwed and pinned, it never affected his work and there was no evidence of arthritis in the joint when he was old, though he did have arthritis in the paw of that affected leg.

Re: Can my springer pup still work/trial if he has IOHC?

Posted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:25 am
by Strathcraig
Feebarn on here has a Labrador with IOHC and he picks up regularly

Re: Can my springer pup still work/trial if he has IOHC?

Posted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:52 am
by Aimeetess
CT scan £1200? I just had a CT scan on my cocker, including anesthetic and scans it was £600.. £250 extra for another specialist opinion (sent to radiologists) I'd do the scan so you know whats what, don't bother with x-rays. You may end up needing x-rays and a CT. My vets is also a very expensive vets, so i believe you could find cheaper. Im also based in Bath.. so i thought that was pricey.

Vets thought Harley had hip displasia but his scan results showed nothing and it must be muscular.

Re: Can my springer pup still work/trial if he has IOHC?

Posted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:10 am
by katie100
Thanks everyone for the advise. I ended up going for x-rays first as they weren't too expensive. It is showing up on the x-rays. Vet is pretty certain it is IOHC :( and in both legs..gutted.

Next step would be CT then surgery. Quoting £2500 per leg!! I have a few options:
Option 1: CT scan & both operations = £6200, maxing out my insurance so and problems that could arise there is no way I could finance it
Option 2: No CT scan and straight to the operations, again will struggle if any problems occur
Option 3: Shop around for a better deal, as recommend by you all
Option 4: Leave him as he is and hope for the best (which I am an all time worrier and would stress every time he moved)
Option 5: Head over heart and re-home him to someone who wants a pet and would do nothing too strenuous and obviously wouldn't mind a dog with his condition.

One of my main worries with if he goes for the operation is that it is 6wks cage rest. I am not in an ideal situation to do this with him, however I would find a way if needed.
Also, I am concerned about how successful these operations are and complications which could occur. anyone advise?

Any thoughts on the above would be ,most appreciated :)