My Crazy Dogs are Keeping Me Sane.
Posted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:19 pm
So my wife and I have been "self isolating" now for almost a month on our rural property. On one hand it is a great place to be with lots of land around and no chance of running into anyone else. On the other hand it has been getting more difficult to keep busy especially with stuff you enjoy. (I still have a long list of cleaning, organizing and repairs to do).
I had an idea I would take on a project with the dogs. I have learned on GTF how common it is for large groups of dogs to work together at a shoot over there. However, it is not the same here. Most NA dogs work alone. You will probably be surprised but I have never trained my two together. Partly because they are different ages Fergal the Cocker was already trained when Hamish the CBR arrived. Also I have them for very different jobs. Fergal is used exclusively for rough-shooting and Hamish for waterfowl retrieving. In any case I have always trained them separately. The issue is further complicated by the fact they don't like each other. A few months ago they actually broke into a fight a couple of times complete with blood and pierced ears and lips. Thankfully I have that under control now and they are living peacefully in the house together again but they just ignore each other most of the time. They have always had a twice a day 20 minute free-running walk together along with my wife's dog and get along fine during that as they are both just focused on running and sniffing.
Day 1. They are both quite good at their basic obedience so I started on the first day just walking with them off leash with a heel command. They are both good and dependable on this on there own however unfortunately I have only thought it on the left side. They were not that keen on being so close together but they did it. They got more comfortable when I let Fergal trail just behind Hamish. (I think he is happier when he can keep an eye on him). I have not yet decided if I will just live with this or teach one to heel on the other side. The good news was they were both very happy and good with each other trough the lesson so I decided to carry on.
Day 2. My plan was to bring in heeling one while the other worked out front. This was sort of amusing. It worked very well one way, not so much the other. Hamish has the best heel so I started with them both by my side and cast Fergal off. It worked great! They were like the have been doing this their whole life. In fact I think Hamish would be very happy working as a non-slip retriever with pointing dogs. As long as he get's to retrieve he is not interested in much else. However, when I reversed things it does not work so well. Of course the Cocker is less content when walking at heel. He does it because he knows he has to but he is constantly looking for some signal for release. Hamish is the opposite. He saw no reason to go out and seek anything while Fergal was at my heel. He seemed to be thinking "if you guys are going to walk together I just want to walk along with you".
Day 3. My goal this day was to add seperate recalls. After a bit of our heeling work I cast them both off. Once they were out a way I blew a stop whistle. Both brown buts hit the ground at the same time and they looked back at me. I called Hamish but as I expected both started coming in. It took several repetitions with light corrections for Fergal to get that he was supposed to stay while Hamish came in. It worked better the other way around but Hamish does have a better sit/stay because of the way I use him. After a few repetitions I was thinking we were getting pretty good at this but then I stopped them when they were only a yard apart. I learned something here. When they were further apart I thought they were recalling in response to their name. However, this got MUCH harder when they were close together. I realised it had less to do with my voice command and much more to do with eye contact. They had quickly learned to only come when I was looking at them but found it much harder when they were close and both thought I was looking at them. I can see this will take more work, starting further apart and slowly working them in closer together.
So that is where we are now. I think I will continue on the heel, stop and recall work again today and in the next day or so. I will then introduce retrieving. They are both quite steady until sent (at least when worked alone). However, I need to proceed with caution here. They are both mad to retrieve and I don't want to energize any hostility which could come out of jealousy. I will take a very positive but go slow approach to ensure that this does not happen.
If you find this interesting I will continue to update. Are any of you doing anything out of the normal routine with your dogs during isolation?
I had an idea I would take on a project with the dogs. I have learned on GTF how common it is for large groups of dogs to work together at a shoot over there. However, it is not the same here. Most NA dogs work alone. You will probably be surprised but I have never trained my two together. Partly because they are different ages Fergal the Cocker was already trained when Hamish the CBR arrived. Also I have them for very different jobs. Fergal is used exclusively for rough-shooting and Hamish for waterfowl retrieving. In any case I have always trained them separately. The issue is further complicated by the fact they don't like each other. A few months ago they actually broke into a fight a couple of times complete with blood and pierced ears and lips. Thankfully I have that under control now and they are living peacefully in the house together again but they just ignore each other most of the time. They have always had a twice a day 20 minute free-running walk together along with my wife's dog and get along fine during that as they are both just focused on running and sniffing.
Day 1. They are both quite good at their basic obedience so I started on the first day just walking with them off leash with a heel command. They are both good and dependable on this on there own however unfortunately I have only thought it on the left side. They were not that keen on being so close together but they did it. They got more comfortable when I let Fergal trail just behind Hamish. (I think he is happier when he can keep an eye on him). I have not yet decided if I will just live with this or teach one to heel on the other side. The good news was they were both very happy and good with each other trough the lesson so I decided to carry on.
Day 2. My plan was to bring in heeling one while the other worked out front. This was sort of amusing. It worked very well one way, not so much the other. Hamish has the best heel so I started with them both by my side and cast Fergal off. It worked great! They were like the have been doing this their whole life. In fact I think Hamish would be very happy working as a non-slip retriever with pointing dogs. As long as he get's to retrieve he is not interested in much else. However, when I reversed things it does not work so well. Of course the Cocker is less content when walking at heel. He does it because he knows he has to but he is constantly looking for some signal for release. Hamish is the opposite. He saw no reason to go out and seek anything while Fergal was at my heel. He seemed to be thinking "if you guys are going to walk together I just want to walk along with you".
Day 3. My goal this day was to add seperate recalls. After a bit of our heeling work I cast them both off. Once they were out a way I blew a stop whistle. Both brown buts hit the ground at the same time and they looked back at me. I called Hamish but as I expected both started coming in. It took several repetitions with light corrections for Fergal to get that he was supposed to stay while Hamish came in. It worked better the other way around but Hamish does have a better sit/stay because of the way I use him. After a few repetitions I was thinking we were getting pretty good at this but then I stopped them when they were only a yard apart. I learned something here. When they were further apart I thought they were recalling in response to their name. However, this got MUCH harder when they were close together. I realised it had less to do with my voice command and much more to do with eye contact. They had quickly learned to only come when I was looking at them but found it much harder when they were close and both thought I was looking at them. I can see this will take more work, starting further apart and slowly working them in closer together.
So that is where we are now. I think I will continue on the heel, stop and recall work again today and in the next day or so. I will then introduce retrieving. They are both quite steady until sent (at least when worked alone). However, I need to proceed with caution here. They are both mad to retrieve and I don't want to energize any hostility which could come out of jealousy. I will take a very positive but go slow approach to ensure that this does not happen.
If you find this interesting I will continue to update. Are any of you doing anything out of the normal routine with your dogs during isolation?