Fuel cost

Chat about anything off-topic
ips
Member
Posts: 5618
Joined: Sat May 30, 2015 7:34 pm
Dogs: Eze "cocker"
Location: UK

Fuel cost

Post by ips »

Flaming Eck....we are now locally up to £9.90 a gallon 😯 did a calculation for how much my syndicate will cost this season taking into account subs (obviously) fuel for shoot days and work days, (shoot is a 90 mile round trip) cartridges etc......the end result and cost per bird going off our usual bag is staggering 🙄
DiY syndicates are cheap at first glance but not in reality 🙄
Muddling along in the hope that one day it starts to make sense.
PRH
Member
Posts: 1031
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:46 pm
Dogs: 2 labs and 1 cocker
Location: Worcestershire

Re: Fuel cost

Post by PRH »

It is quite a cost increase. I've been going to Devon for a day every year, but they have just out the price per bird to £51, so I'm out. I might do a few walked up days closer to home instead!
Nickheref
Member
Posts: 1923
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:09 pm

Re: Fuel cost

Post by Nickheref »

Plus your non toxic cartridges' and if using bismuth that will increase things!! I filled up at £1.51/litre and got up to North Yorkshire and back on a tank with a bit to spare but not much. Actually made the journey back a bit more fun playing "watch the fuel gauge, will we make it or have to pay £1.89/litre" all the way!

My mate uses small bores that are difficult to get non toxic cartridges for, he looked at loading his own but was pretty shocked at the cost of bismuth or heavy shot.
ips
Member
Posts: 5618
Joined: Sat May 30, 2015 7:34 pm
Dogs: Eze "cocker"
Location: UK

Re: Fuel cost

Post by ips »

PRH wrote: ↑Tue Mar 15, 2022 9:14 am It is quite a cost increase. I've been going to Devon for a day every year, but they have just out the price per bird to £51, so I'm out. I might do a few walked up days closer to home instead!
I have also done away with a day I usually do due to cost increase...also had two offers from friends to join there teams on driven days but at £400 - £600 per day i too am out as my retirement won't stretch to it...
Muddling along in the hope that one day it starts to make sense.
ips
Member
Posts: 5618
Joined: Sat May 30, 2015 7:34 pm
Dogs: Eze "cocker"
Location: UK

Re: Fuel cost

Post by ips »

Nickheref wrote: ↑Tue Mar 15, 2022 10:14 am Plus your non toxic cartridges' and if using bismuth that will increase things!! I filled up at £1.51/litre and got up to North Yorkshire and back on a tank with a bit to spare but not much. Actually made the journey back a bit more fun playing "watch the fuel gauge, will we make it or have to pay £1.89/litre" all the way!

My mate uses small bores that are difficult to get non toxic cartridges for, he looked at loading his own but was pretty shocked at the cost of bismuth or heavy shot.
That's a fare point however i don't personally use bismuth. I home load for fun but there is very little saving unless you have a lead supply and drop your own shot 👍
Muddling along in the hope that one day it starts to make sense.
ips
Member
Posts: 5618
Joined: Sat May 30, 2015 7:34 pm
Dogs: Eze "cocker"
Location: UK

Re: Fuel cost

Post by ips »

PS
Our syndicate subs have increased 20% this year ......ouch 🙄
Muddling along in the hope that one day it starts to make sense.
Miesque
Member
Posts: 1140
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:35 pm
Dogs: Many spaniels
Location: Ireland

Re: Fuel cost

Post by Miesque »

Syndicates have to increase their prices, the price of everything from feed to birds has gone up significantly. Our feed bill will be several thousand higher this year
Nickheref
Member
Posts: 1923
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:09 pm

Re: Fuel cost

Post by Nickheref »

Miesque wrote: ↑Tue Mar 15, 2022 4:29 pm Syndicates have to increase their prices, the price of everything from feed to birds has gone up significantly. Our feed bill will be several thousand higher this year
Feed for my birds has gone up about 25% so far this year. Not helped by having to keep them in so they cannot graze!
ips
Member
Posts: 5618
Joined: Sat May 30, 2015 7:34 pm
Dogs: Eze "cocker"
Location: UK

Re: Fuel cost

Post by ips »

We have our annual syndicate meeting on Saturday, it will cost me £30 in fuel to attend in the truck or £20 if I use the one the wife drives.......ditto for the approx 6 work days so it's a three figure sum in fuel before I even pull the trigger or cast the dog out 😯 it's not a cost thing I used to really consider but now I am retired with bank accounts only going one way it's a big wedge of Dosh... .🙄
Muddling along in the hope that one day it starts to make sense.
Nickheref
Member
Posts: 1923
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:09 pm

Re: Fuel cost

Post by Nickheref »

Feed has gone up again, from £6.40 for 25kg in January to £9.20!! As the disgruntled farmer standing next to me said - a lot of people sold their wheat in the autumn at £150/t, so someone is making a profit.
Post Reply