Page 1 of 2

Ticks

Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 6:24 pm
by ips
Never had much of a problem with ticks, maybe one two or three a year and generally when we have been on hols in sheep or deer country, this year however has been the worse than ever. The last few weeks we have had a tick every few days. We do have four sheep in a field near ours but they are 70yds away as there is a horse paddock separating us. We also have a rabbit problem at the moment, not had any for many years but over run with em now so maybe there coming from the rabbit πŸ™„
Anyway, what's the best over the counter flee and tick product to use ????

Re: Ticks

Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 8:50 pm
by Miesque
Bravecto or Nexgard

Re: Ticks

Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 7:40 am
by ips
Miesque wrote: ↑Tue Apr 05, 2022 8:50 pm Bravecto or Nexgard
Thank you πŸ‘

Re: Ticks

Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 8:34 am
by Nickheref
You were lucky at 2 or 3 a year, I found five of the nymphs (little spidery things) on one dog's head after exercise on one night last week. I have found a tick on a dog in every month except December in the last 12 months. I am not very keen on systemic control but have gone for Bravecto.
30 years ago a tick was such a rarity it was quite interesting.
The Bravecto cost me a fortune for my pack - does anyone buy it online as it looks much cheaper?

Re: Ticks

Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2022 8:27 pm
by WGD
Bravecto, ticks are ferocious up here this year.

Nick - I've bought Bravecto from Amazon recently. Β£27/tablet + delivery, tablets are for a 20 - 40kg dog so I halved the tablets. They are from Romania, hope they're genuine so will let you know!

Re: Ticks

Posted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 1:19 pm
by CockerCanuck
They aren't out here yet but when they are they can be really bad. Years ago before I began treating I could find a dozen on a dog after a half hour walk. I have found similar numbers on me while turkey hunting in spring.

I have used Bavecto for the last several years May - November. I find it reduces the number of ticks found walking on the dog by 90% and any that are attached are dead or dying. I have noticed no side effects. Cost here is about $50 CDN for a chewable pill that covers the dog for 12 weeks.

Re: Ticks

Posted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 6:46 pm
by ips
CockerCanuck wrote: ↑Sat Apr 09, 2022 1:20 pm They aren't out here yet but when they are they can be really bad. Years ago before I began treating I could find a dozen on a dog after a half hour walk. I have found similar numbers on me while turkey hunting in spring.

I have used Bavecto for the last several years May - November. I find it reduces the number of ticks found walking on the dog by 90% and any that are attached are dead or dying. I have noticed no side effects. Cost here is about $50 CDN for a chewable pill that covers the dog for 12 weeks.
Ruddy ell 50 CD for one tablet....jeez

Re: Ticks

Posted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 6:47 pm
by ips
Do rabbit carry tics ??

Re: Ticks

Posted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 8:42 pm
by CockerCanuck
ips wrote: ↑Sat Apr 09, 2022 6:46 pm
CockerCanuck wrote: ↑Sat Apr 09, 2022 1:20 pm They aren't out here yet but when they are they can be really bad. Years ago before I began treating I could find a dozen on a dog after a half hour walk. I have found similar numbers on me while turkey hunting in spring.

I have used Bavecto for the last several years May - November. I find it reduces the number of ticks found walking on the dog by 90% and any that are attached are dead or dying. I have noticed no side effects. Cost here is about $50 CDN for a chewable pill that covers the dog for 12 weeks.
Ruddy ell 50 CD for one tablet....jeez
I don’t think of it as $50 a tablet but $50 for three months protection Ips.

Re: Ticks

Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 3:47 pm
by Cass
ips wrote: ↑Sat Apr 09, 2022 6:47 pm Do rabbit carry tics ??
Yep they'll definitely latch on to rabbits.... deer... anything with a pulse basically