Page 1 of 1
Hello
Posted: Fri Aug 08, 2025 8:38 am
by Sarah63
Just joined as have a new fox red labrador puppy 16 weeks today!
I was wondering if anyone could recommend a clicker? I have very small hands and feel I would struggle to have lead/puppy/clicker/rewards! I have got a pouch for the rewards, but that also seems quite large.
Thanks Sarah.
Re: Hello
Posted: Fri Aug 08, 2025 8:58 am
by Tennyson.Horler
Hi Sarah! Welcome to the Lab world! I havent used a clicker before. All thumbs here! I use a verbal reward alongside a treat. This helps when they are older as they will have associated the verbal reward with a treat

Re: Hello
Posted: Fri Aug 08, 2025 10:02 am
by munstyman
Naj will probably have some serious recommendations, mine would be practice buttock clenching so you don't have to carry the clicker in your hand

More seriously, it's not the clicker size that you should be concerned with, ( Size doesn't matter , or so I'm told

) it's in how to properly use it. If your feeling cluttered with all the stuff, chances are your not using everything as you should. Watch a good clicker trainer how they hold, and use everything and make it look simple and flowing, and practice until it becomes natural so you don't have to think about the technique and can concentrate on the training of the dog.
( Like Tennyson, I use my voice as the marker and not a clicker, because I'm just a simple man and can't multitask. Plus I have HPRs so my buttocks are permanently clenched.

Re: Hello
Posted: Fri Aug 08, 2025 4:59 pm
by Nickheref
I agree, I tried a clicker but managing a clicker, getting a treat ready and accepting a retrieve all at the same time was beyond me! So it sits quietly in a drawer somewhere and I mark it with my voice which has the added advantage that I cannot forget it when I go out. The bigger the pouch the easier it is to get the treat out quickly when you need it, it is all about getting the timing right.
Re: Hello
Posted: Sat Aug 09, 2025 6:58 pm
by Naj
You should be able to find a clicker to suit if you shop around. You can get them that hang off the wrist, or a landyard around your neck and I’ve seen ones that are like a ring on your finger. Personally I don’t use one but, as with the others, use a marker word like ‘yes’ or ‘good’. As long as you ‘charge’ it like a clicker it works the same.
Re: Hello
Posted: Sun Aug 10, 2025 9:26 pm
by Judy
Years ago I was given a little book of "thoughts" One seemed very appropriate for dog training; If you're happy let your face know it" never forget dogs are masters at reading body language so smile and praise when they get it right, it goes a long way.
Re: Hello
Posted: Mon Aug 11, 2025 10:57 am
by Tennyson.Horler
Judy is 100% right. My dogs know when I am smiling and when I am frowning. I do look like a manicly happy person when training, regardless of what the dog has done, as long as it's coming back, I look like the Cheshire cat!