Trouble with Hamish

Chat about anything off-topic
Post Reply
newf
Member
Posts: 2112
Joined: Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:50 pm

Re: Trouble with Hamish

Post by newf »

CC, very insightful and a pleasure to read. Interesting picture you have described between the two groups.

Since the punters dogs maybe not registered, where do they source their dogs?
CockerCanuck
Member
Posts: 1372
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:56 pm
Dogs: Fergal, Hamish, Ceilidh
Location: SW Ontario, Canada

Re: Trouble with Hamish

Post by CockerCanuck »

newf wrote: ↑Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:57 pm CC, very insightful and a pleasure to read. Interesting picture you have described between the two groups.

Since the punters dogs maybe not registered, where do they source their dogs?
All over the place really Newf. One little female is of field trial breeding, one is a mix of trial and show stock. The unregistered ones are just the product of breeding a successful marsh dog with another. There is no doubt they are pure Lab but no one bothered with the paperwork. I am proud to say that the two Chessies are both registered but I was told by one of the punters (who has a Lab) today that the first Chesapeake's were the result of the unintentional breeding of a Golden and a PIg :lol:
I'm suspicious of people who don't like dogs, but I trust a dog when it doesn't like a person. - Bill Murray
newf
Member
Posts: 2112
Joined: Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:50 pm

Re: Trouble with Hamish

Post by newf »

Good stuff! Makes sense to train for actual conditions that are not necessarily pretty. It would lessen lost birds on hunts and allow the the punters to concentrate I would guess, on other responsibilities. I know, personally speaking, I have a tendency to train on and in places that entertain me and the dogs. Then, I wonder why my dogs fail to go back through thick scrub for forty yards without hunting the immediate edge for instance. Training in open fields and idyllic ponds is nice but won’t cut the mustard.
Naj
Member
Posts: 7419
Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:47 am

Re: Trouble with Hamish

Post by Naj »

:clap: I agree. I think hunters have a totally different perspective on what they require of a dog to those whose interest lies primarily in competition, and vice versa. You get those that are interested in both, or even multiple disciplines within gundog work, and have to balance things but I think it always makes life simpler to train for your immediate needs. Standard training protocols are based on training for competition so every body tends to start with them but once you have a bit of experience under your belt you’re better placed to tailor a training program to suit yourself.

Naj
crackerd
Member
Posts: 1895
Joined: Mon May 14, 2012 4:20 pm

Re: Trouble with Hamish

Post by crackerd »

Naj wrote: ↑Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:03 pm :clap: I agree. I think hunters have a totally different perspective on what they require of a dog to those whose interest lies primarily in competition, and vice versa. You get those that are interested in both, or even multiple disciplines within gundog work, and have to balance things but I think it always makes life simpler to train for your immediate needs. Standard training protocols are based on training for competition so every body tends to start with them but once you have a bit of experience under your belt you’re better placed to tailor a training program to suit yourself.
Naj, thanks for that inciteful (cq) post :mrgreen:

Nah, largely in accord with you, but there are mitigating circumstances that would prevent such "natural" training for waterfowl much of the year in this demi-sphere - and the irony of course is that North American field trials and certainly hunt tests evolved as off-season activities for dogs and handlers alike. I would refer you back to CC's referencing his FT training group for the reality of today as regards four- and two-legged practitioners.

That said, CC's accounts of the alternative (albeit 80%-direct kin) approach are a delectable pleasure.

MG
CockerCanuck
Member
Posts: 1372
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:56 pm
Dogs: Fergal, Hamish, Ceilidh
Location: SW Ontario, Canada

Re: Trouble with Hamish

Post by CockerCanuck »

A bit of an ironic development related to this discussion at our session today. We arrived at one of our training locations which is on what might best be described as the "estate" of a well known field trial competitor and judge. It has great ponds which were manufactured for retrievers with lots of irregular shoreline, points and islands. The Punters were horrified to see a work crew had come in and cut all the cattails and brush off the points and islands.

Why...…………………?

There is an Open Trial being held there this weekend ;) .
I'm suspicious of people who don't like dogs, but I trust a dog when it doesn't like a person. - Bill Murray
newf
Member
Posts: 2112
Joined: Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:50 pm

Re: Trouble with Hamish

Post by newf »

CockerCanuck wrote: ↑Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:12 pm A bit of an ironic development related to this discussion at our session today. We arrived at one of our training locations which is on what might best be described as the "estate" of a well known field trial competitor and judge. It has great ponds which were manufactured for retrievers with lots of irregular shoreline, points and islands. The Punters were horrified to see a work crew had come in and cut all the cattails and brush off the points and islands.

Why...…………………?

There is an Open Trial being held there this weekend ;) .
:lol: :lol:
Judy
Co-Admin
Posts: 16742
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:33 pm
Location: Kent

Re: Trouble with Hamish

Post by Judy »

They're obviously special (needs) dogs! :lol: :lol:
In life, it is important to know when to stop arguing with people and simply let them be wrong.
crackerd
Member
Posts: 1895
Joined: Mon May 14, 2012 4:20 pm

Re: Trouble with Hamish

Post by crackerd »

CC, I'll see your "ironic development, " and raise you two "asinine activities:" One of my retriever clubs pays $15K minimum a year to have the cover cut and aquatic weeds "controlled" on a state-run wildlife area so that FTs can be held there instead of leaving the upkeep of the grounds to the state. That's terribly wrongheaded, though really it oughtn't matter, since fowling is not allowed there anyhow, just field trials, twitching (!) and deer hunting (!!).

By the way, there's a trial there this weekend, too, but a spate of 100°C+ heat index days leading into and an 11-yr. old dog that doesn't handle overdone tests by judges who don't take the elements into consideration were more than "enough" for me to decline entering.And this is not, most definitely not South Carolina, in case any of your FT training group have told you about the magnificent Cooper Black Wildlife Area there that caters to gundog training of all kinds and is self-sustaining by drawing trainers and trialers from all over North America.
CockerCanuck wrote: ↑Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:12 pm A bit of an ironic development related to this discussion at our session today. We arrived at one of our training locations which is on what might best be described as the "estate" of a well known field trial competitor and judge. It has great ponds which were manufactured for retrievers with lots of irregular shoreline, points and islands. The Punters were horrified to see a work crew had come in and cut all the cattails and brush off the points and islands.

Why...…………………?

There is an Open Trial being held there this weekend ;) .
CockerCanuck
Member
Posts: 1372
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:56 pm
Dogs: Fergal, Hamish, Ceilidh
Location: SW Ontario, Canada

Re: Trouble with Hamish

Post by CockerCanuck »

While my post about the cutting of vegetation is 100% accurate. It was somewhat tongue in cheek. I have more affection and empathy with the trialers after training with them. (even though I would not want 80% of their dogs as a gift). I do understand that the reason the cattails and brush was cut was not that their dogs would not go through. I am sure most would. However in a close competition decided by judges the judge does need to be able to see the dogs to make his assessment.
I'm suspicious of people who don't like dogs, but I trust a dog when it doesn't like a person. - Bill Murray
Post Reply