No wheels on my wagon.

Chat about anything off-topic
Stacia
Member
Posts: 4671
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:05 pm
Dogs: Drift and Rourke
Location: West Worcestershire

Re: No wheels on my wagon.

Post by Stacia »

I am so sorry to read this Wullie. You have been a great joy in my life (though you didn't know that :-D ), your sense of humour, your posts, your excellent training, the way you described your days out picking up, all carried me away in imagination. They will always remain as a visual memory.

All love sent from Englandshire xxxxxx
CockerCanuck
Member
Posts: 1372
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:56 pm
Dogs: Fergal, Hamish, Ceilidh
Location: SW Ontario, Canada

Re: No wheels on my wagon.

Post by CockerCanuck »

Ah Gee Wullie, this is sad news indeed. I only know you from this forum but your sound advice, common sense and cunning wit have kept me coming back and reading your posts, many several times over. I have the impression from what I have read that you present a great example of a "life well lived". From your scrappy youth to your martial arts star granddaughter, sea fishing, shooting and of course your many great dogs. You have a lot to look back on and be thankful for. You have been an inspiration to many across the globe and you will be missed.
I'm suspicious of people who don't like dogs, but I trust a dog when it doesn't like a person. - Bill Murray
Sgurr
Member
Posts: 2168
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:22 pm
Dogs: Peggy Sue

Re: No wheels on my wagon.

Post by Sgurr »

So very sorry to hear your news, Wullie. We have never met but you have been a joy and inspiration to me with your posts. PM me your address and I'll send you a wee dram from Talisker to toast you on your way - don't tell the Soup Dragon!

Cheers
Sgurr
winniebob
Member
Posts: 895
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:33 pm
Dogs: Jill ,Breeze,Bella, Winnie and Gertie.
Location: nr Coniston, South Lakes

Re: No wheels on my wagon.

Post by winniebob »

Ah Wullie - It’s been a pleasure knowing you. Like Milly I have fond memories of training days with you and the time you came up here to stay with me in the Lakes. I still have so many of your ‘pearls of wisdom’ that you used to post on here printed out. I used to stand on the field with them in my hand, trying to do one of the exercises (the choo choo hand action when sending for a retrieve come immediately to mind ) whilst that wayward bloody cocker Winnie did laps of honour round me. You will be sadly missed by so many of us here, not just for your deep knowledge and understanding of dogs but also for the kind way you dispensed your training advice and help, especially those of us new to the game.
Take care my friend, love to you and your family. Xxx
Naj
Member
Posts: 7419
Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:47 am

Re: No wheels on my wagon.

Post by Naj »

Sorry to hear your news, Bill. Thanks for keeping us all informed, entertained and amused over the years, not to mention gnashing our teeth at times, :lol: but you’ve always been a straight guy with a wealth of practical gundog experience behind you and someone who could always be relied upon for an honest opinion. 👍 You’re of a generation that has arguably seen the best of it here in the U.K. when it comes to country pursuits, and you’ve lived it to the full. Few these days are able to have roamed so freely with dog and gun as you once did! You’re a real character, Bill, and it will be sad to see you go. I’ll spare a thought for you when I’m out shooting over the pointy noses next season.

Hope you get your wish for a speedy and pain free end. It’s the least that you deserve. x

Naj
ips
Member
Posts: 5618
Joined: Sat May 30, 2015 7:34 pm
Dogs: Eze "cocker"
Location: UK

Re: No wheels on my wagon.

Post by ips »

Having a wee dram for you as we speak my friend 👍
Muddling along in the hope that one day it starts to make sense.
Nickheref
Member
Posts: 1923
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:09 pm

Re: No wheels on my wagon.

Post by Nickheref »

I am so sorry to hear this, I completely agree about prolonging life at any cost. I had many conversations with my mother in law on the same basis as she staggered on to 97 but realistically was ready to go the day she could no longer look after herself or make herself a cup of tea when she wanted it.
I don't intend to keep going when there is nothing left that makes me want to get up in a morning!


Glad you don't seem to have lost your sense of humour.
sperrinside spaniels
New Member
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2021 10:04 am

Re: No wheels on my wagon.

Post by sperrinside spaniels »

spoke to you by pm a few times mate, sorry to read this..
Lynn
Member
Posts: 403
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:12 pm
Location: Lincolnshire

Re: No wheels on my wagon.

Post by Lynn »

Oh Wully this is the post I have dreaded, but at at least you have written it yourself. Thank you for all the info and advice you have given us and when the time comes I hope you go peacefully and knowing how much your experience sharing has meant to us.x
farleigh
Member
Posts: 30
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:47 pm

Re: No wheels on my wagon.

Post by farleigh »

Bill, a huge THANKYOU for being so generous with your knowledge and experience on gundog forums over the last years. Your talented writing style and ability to put your thoughts over have been so helpful and endlessly entertaining. You inspired me in the early days of training my first HPR and had a big part in making me the handler I am today.

Go well friend.
Post Reply