Trouble with Hamish

Chat about anything off-topic
CockerCanuck
Member
Posts: 1372
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:56 pm
Dogs: Fergal, Hamish, Ceilidh
Location: SW Ontario, Canada

Re: Trouble with Hamish

Post by CockerCanuck »

Very sad to conclude this long narrative today. Hamish is no longer with us. Had to put him down a few days ago. He had been just fine and at eight I thought he had a season or two left in him. I won’t belabour the story but he was just quite suddenly unwell. Blood tests showed his white and red cells and platelets all dangerously low. We did some tests and ruled out several tick borne viruses which we have here which left either cancer or some sort of autoimmune disorder. After two days on antibiotics and steroids his blood was checked again and showed no improvement. He was also now clearly bleeding internally. My vet felt without a transfusion (not really an available option) he was unlikely to survive more than a few days so I made the decision. I have had a lot of good dogs over the years so I don’t like to compare with words like “best” but I certainly had a special bond with Hamish, not because he was amazing but he had a tremendous quirky individual character which always made me smile and I will continue to do so every time I remember him.
I'm suspicious of people who don't like dogs, but I trust a dog when it doesn't like a person. - Bill Murray
Naj
Member
Posts: 7417
Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:47 am

Re: Trouble with Hamish

Post by Naj »

Sorry to hear that, CC, it’s always worse when they’re still relatively young and have a few more seasons left in them. At least he’s left you with good memories.
Stacia
Member
Posts: 4671
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:05 pm
Dogs: Drift and Rourke
Location: West Worcestershire

Re: Trouble with Hamish

Post by Stacia »

So sorry CC. Hamish sounded as one of those special dogs who we are very fortunate to have had in our lives.
newf
Member
Posts: 2112
Joined: Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:50 pm

Re: Trouble with Hamish

Post by newf »

So sorry to hear, CC. Expecting in the near future to make the hard decision on my lab with failing back legs.
munstyman
Member
Posts: 1589
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2015 3:17 pm

Re: Trouble with Hamish

Post by munstyman »

Condolences CC. Hamish had a hard start in life but you gave him a good and fruitful life doing what he was bred for and I know from the thread he was a good ambassador for the breed, his ability and a tribute to yourself. Of course he was the "best", they all are, just in different ways. Rest peacefully Hamish.
Judy
Co-Admin
Posts: 16742
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:33 pm
Location: Kent

Re: Trouble with Hamish

Post by Judy »

Thinking of you, there's nothing worse than losing a dog, especially a relatively young one. He had a great life. xx
In life, it is important to know when to stop arguing with people and simply let them be wrong.
CockerCanuck
Member
Posts: 1372
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:56 pm
Dogs: Fergal, Hamish, Ceilidh
Location: SW Ontario, Canada

Re: Trouble with Hamish

Post by CockerCanuck »

Thanks everyone, Hamish was certainly one of a kind and I had a tremendous amount of fun with him. In part I think because he came along just before I retired so I got to spend a lot of time with him and of course most of it not shooting. However I think there is something about NA style waterfowling that leads to an emotional bond with your dog. You spend your whole day confined to a blind or small boat. 90% of the time nothing is happening. An unruly dog in this situation can really get on your nerves. However Hamish was great at the “down time” he kept watch for birds but relaxed and just enjoyed the companionship. We shared snacks and lunches and played silly games to pass the time. He really did seem to have a sense of humour. Then when birds appeared, shots were fired and we had ducks on the water, sometimes several, some dead and some moving fast to the cattails he was instantly all business with determination that they were all coming back to the boat. I will miss him but feel privileged to have spent seven seasons in a boat with him.
I'm suspicious of people who don't like dogs, but I trust a dog when it doesn't like a person. - Bill Murray
Post Reply