Any health / feeding questions - remember this is no substitute for the Vet!
Forum rules
There is no substitute to visiting your Vet - he has the knowledge and experience and can see/feel/smell your dog and advise accordingly. Please apply your own judgement and common sense to any advice given. What works for one dog might not work for another. If you are in any doubt please visit your Vet! General Forum Rules
There would be no reason you couldn't go to the referral practice for consultation and investigation and hopefully get a diagnosis, but opt not to go for surgery if it was indicated.
It doesn't matter what someone else would do. Do what you feel is right for you.
What I would do is carefully read your insurance policy before you go. If you do decide to go for referral then speak to the insurance company beforehand and find out exactly what would/would not be covered.
Happiness is where we find it, but rarely where we seek it.
the referral practice can do a 'pre-authorisation' for you where they fax the estimated work/cost to the ins company and get a yes/no for definate before you spend any money.
i'm a like to know person so would go for it but it depends upon whether you would go any further if you knew what the problem was? if not then whats the point in finding out what it is.....
Izzi wrote:the referral practice can do a 'pre-authorisation' for you where they fax the estimated work/cost to the ins company and get a yes/no for definate before you spend any money.
i'm a like to know person so would go for it but it depends upon whether you would go any further if you knew what the problem was? if not then whats the point in finding out what it is.....
thats right, A Quote.
Don't worry about your dog making a fool of you, You'll do that all by yourself!
I had a 5 year old lab who suddenly took ill this time last year. The vet was stumped so he was referred for MRI and CT scans - cost £4,000 (at least the insurance paid most of it). His condition turned out to be inoperable (aortic aneurysm) and though they didn't think the aneurysm was in imminent danger of bursting he died naturally just as I was coming to terms with making the decision to put him to sleep as he was not coping very well. The vets said this condition was rare but I think it's more likely rarely diagnosed at £4k a throw! Anyhow, I don't regret the tests even though it was a lousy outcome. At least I knew nothing could be done though it still pains me now. Would I do it again - yes I would if it was a young dog. I'd always wonder if I could have done more. Just my opinion of course and only you can make such a big decision about your own dog. Do contact your insurance and talk it through with them first too - just so you're clear what they will cover.
I was referred to The Willows Specialist Veterinary Practice in Solihull for the scans - don't know whether that's nearer to you than Liverpool but they were an extremely good and very caring practice.
Good luck.
Anne
Last edited by Anne on Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Whoooo........... I took willow on tuesday to the vets in Liverpool and after the poor dog went through blood tests hearing tests x rays and MRI scans she does NOT have any cancers any where.
She does however have an abnormal growth of extra bone in her ear putting slight pressure on her nerves and brain and causing her to be Deaf in her right ear not that i have ever noticed any problems with her hearing before but the problem wont get any worse as she has stopped growing and so have her bones the specialist said he had never seen anything like this before but if it had of been any where else in her body we wouldnt have noticed it. Its just because it is in her ear that it has caused Horners Syndrome and we have investigated further.
They believe the problem may be genetic though so no puppys for Willow not that she would mind i dont think but i am very pleased i now now what the cause is ... No regrets and thank you all so much for your advice.
I don't want to make this sound sarcastic... but you have put your dog through a risk anaesthetic, blood tests, blah blah for what exactly?
I cannot understand why you did this. Are the Horner's symptoms better? What does putting "a name to it" do for the dogs health?
Glad I am not paying for this with my insurance policy payments, as don't have insurance.
Ok that sounds dreadful, but I am struggling to understand what you have achieved?