Vest or bag

Training kit (clothing, gear, books, DVDs etc) & services
CockerCanuck
Member
Posts: 1372
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:56 pm
Dogs: Fergal, Hamish, Ceilidh
Location: SW Ontario, Canada

Re: Vest or bag

Post by CockerCanuck »

I have always admired the beautiful looking traditional shooting bags I see in photographs of British shooting. I have been tempted to order one but wondered if I would use it, at least for it's intended purpose. Here it is almost universally vests ( blaze orange). I thought it was simply a cultural difference but I have picked up on this thread there is also a practical reason. In your shoots I guess there are several times during an average day when you are standing and waiting and it makes a lot of sense to drop, or hang, the bag and not have to shoulder it. Whereas in our NA rough shooting you rarely stand still and are always moving so a vest makes more sense for us.
I'm suspicious of people who don't like dogs, but I trust a dog when it doesn't like a person. - Bill Murray
Dawnrazor
Member
Posts: 1384
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:48 pm

Re: Vest or bag

Post by Dawnrazor »

A bag, you don't look like a Twat with a Gamebag.
Judy
Co-Admin
Posts: 16742
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:33 pm
Location: Kent

Re: Vest or bag

Post by Judy »

Dawnrazor wrote: ↑Sun May 02, 2021 3:20 pm A bag, you don't look like a Twat with a Gamebag.
Oh I dunno, I've seen lots of twats with gamebags...

I don't understand this liking for carrying loads of stuff about, you can do 90% of your training with a couple of disc dummies which will fit in the pocket of your jeans, couple of tennis balls or plastic dummies for water training. KISS!

If you are out picking up a bag is not what you need as it keeps the game too warm.
In life, it is important to know when to stop arguing with people and simply let them be wrong.
PRH
Member
Posts: 1031
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:46 pm
Dogs: 2 labs and 1 cocker
Location: Worcestershire

Re: Vest or bag

Post by PRH »

Bag for training dummies, never take it shooting.
CockerCanuck
Member
Posts: 1372
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:56 pm
Dogs: Fergal, Hamish, Ceilidh
Location: SW Ontario, Canada

Re: Vest or bag

Post by CockerCanuck »

Everyone in my OGRG (Old Guy Retriever Group) carries training stuff in a 5 gallon pail with a snap on padded seat lid. Just the right size for all the essential; 4-5 dummies, or dead ducks, starter pistol, duck call. The big advantage is when you are out throwing for others you can sit on it while waiting your turn. Everyone else's are white but I can feel the envy in the air when they gaze longingly at my camo one ;)
I'm suspicious of people who don't like dogs, but I trust a dog when it doesn't like a person. - Bill Murray
Dawnrazor
Member
Posts: 1384
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:48 pm

Re: Vest or bag

Post by Dawnrazor »

I'd rather carry around a 5gl Pail than wear a training vest, bloody ridiculous looking things!
ips
Member
Posts: 5618
Joined: Sat May 30, 2015 7:34 pm
Dogs: Eze "cocker"
Location: UK

Re: Vest or bag

Post by ips »

CC
Sounds exactly same as my pigeon shooting cammo seat / bucket 😁
Muddling along in the hope that one day it starts to make sense.
Judy
Co-Admin
Posts: 16742
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:33 pm
Location: Kent

Re: Vest or bag

Post by Judy »

Dawnrazor wrote: ↑Mon May 24, 2021 4:21 pm I'd rather carry around a 5gl Pail than wear a training vest, bloody ridiculous looking things!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Have to have a vest for all the dummies because the bag is full of place boards and white sticks.
In life, it is important to know when to stop arguing with people and simply let them be wrong.
Dawnrazor
Member
Posts: 1384
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:48 pm

Re: Vest or bag

Post by Dawnrazor »

Training Vests........Place Boards.........Cockers............Flatcoats.............there is a very special spot for you in Hell woman!!!!!
Dawnrazor
Member
Posts: 1384
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:48 pm

Re: Vest or bag

Post by Dawnrazor »

Training Vests........Place Boards.........Cockers............Flatcoats.............there is a very special spot for you in Hell woman!!!!!
Post Reply